Prometheus pellets

oager

Here's a blast from the past. A box of Prometheus pellets I was given about 15 years ago and never got around to trying. Thought they might be good on rats - and they might be, as long as the kill zone is about 8 feet across at 10 yards. They group like a third-rate's 24 pounder. I guess it must be the discarding sabot concept getting all squirrelly once out of the bore?
I shall use them for short range naval engagements 200 years ago.

Attachments

DAVIDAIKEN

Here's a blast from the past. A box of Prometheus pellets I was given about 15 years ago and never got around to trying. Thought they might be good on rats - and they might be, as long as the kill zone is about 8 feet across at 10 yards. They group like a third-rate's 24 pounder. I guess it must be the discarding sabot concept getting all squirrelly once out of the bore?
I shall use them for short range naval engagements 200 years ago.
I to found some in.177. Tried them out in my Wembley Tempest, CRAP!

kennyc

from memory they weren't discarding sabots, they were supposed to be flatter shooting and better penetrating than diablo pellets, but were never that accurate.
the discarding sabot pellet you are probably thinking of was the Sussex Sabo

Sussex Sabo

also not a massive success as they tended to pencil through small game and also had accuracy issues, they couldn't be used with mods either.

Last edited:

enfieldspares

From memory they shot OK (but not as good as) the genuine Eley Wasp in my father's Airsporter.

But twice "x three" as in three times the price and three times the group size!

Druid

from memory they weren't discarding sabots, they were supposed to be flatter shooting and better penetrating than diablo pellets, but were never that accurate.
the discarding sabot pellet you are probably thinking of was the Sussex Sabo

Sussex Sabo

also not a massive success as they tended to pencil through small game and also had accuracy issues, they couldn't be used with mods either.
wow! That's a blast from the past! I remember them, with the little pen like loading tool.
i treated them like a golden bullet with mystical properties in my FWB sport as a lad. They did go straight through birds if I remember rightly.

countrryboy

I think they were the reccommended pellet for shooting mink caught in cage traps, esp with air pistols, seemingly they have better penetration than normal lead pellets.

Must admit i never used them as a boy but was told the plastic was meant to foul ur rifling and wreck ur air gun

pj1

I seem to remember some pellets' like these where the skirt would glow in the dark when put in front of a bright light. You could then really see how unstable they were in flight. Was also out of a hw 77 so maybe fac would make a difference

Guesty

Ahh, back to the 80's!
Prometheus and Sussex Sabo were for 12ftlb rifles IIRC, and both performed best through unchocked barrels.

Cyres

I still have some, you could even buy them unassembled. Never really got on with them and if I recall ? issue with plastic deposit in barrel. I think I have the originals ? clear/white plastic and the later green plastic ones. Also tried the Sabo ones, crap but might be better suited to FAC.

D

dlz90

They where about as useful in FAC as having an ashtray on a motorcycle pure and utter Sh**e!! they where but it sure brings me back a bit............:D

devilishdave

I remember both as a kid penetration was good but expensive; a standard .177 wasp would kill ha rabbit or hare at 50m if you put it through the head !!

merlin

Crikey, rewind about 32 years or so!!

Prometheus..... were not recommended for the new-fangled (then) PCP's as the bolt pushed the metal section out of the plastic sleeve; they were great though for leaving plastic residue in your barrel and ricocheted like buggery!! Didn't persuade me to switch from the pellets I was using at the time....

Sussex Sabo..... what an utter faff!! groups like a shotgun pattern plate & you could make a brew in the time it took to assemble one and get it in your barrel. A mate dropped a tin with the lid off whilst we were out once - cue 45 mins of grubbing about in long grass trying to find the 2 component parts......

Cris

I remember some that were two part with black plastic and bronze core. The core was very hard and didn't expand but had great penetration on C size batteries at 20m!

scoie

love it , great memories of the sussex sabotage too, i cut down/melted/bent the charger to get it to fit my hw77 . all fingers and thumbs to be honest , i too thought they were amazing and saved them for special occasions , lol. until i tried them just went through things IF you could hit them that is

paul o'

remember my brother letting one go in dads barn was like a wasp trying to find its mark pinging off anything it hit old western sounds and all lol

A blast ! from the past indeed . I seem to remember when they first came out that there was an offer for free samples in some magazine . When they arrived I remember the nice shiny spaceage looking pellets. I didnt shoot many as they were to precious to "waste " at a target, so wasnt aware of them being unaccurate , how could something so shiny not be accurate !
I dont recall killing much with them though .