proofed vs unproofed moderators

cootster

looking at a salon moderator for a .308 and noticed they do a proofed and unproofed version, is there any real benefits of one over the other, there is a price difference, many thanks

There is no difference except the cost. The manufacturing process is exactly the same. The whole “proof” debacle will forever be a bone of contention. I personally don’t believe in it after a colleague had a 16b shotgun re-proofed. It passed and then on the first outing on clays ruptured one of the barrels. By the grace of god he was holding the wood like an over and under and not the traditional hold of a side by side or he would have surely lost his hand.

Cut a small hole in the end of a balloon bouquet and see what pressure it will hold.

A moderator is exposed to muzzle blast but very little pressure.

They do fail via rust look at the T8 if they aren't cared for.

There is no difference except the cost. The manufacturing process is exactly the same. The whole “proof” debacle will forever be a bone of contention. I personally don’t believe in it after a colleague had a 16b shotgun re-proofed. It passed and then on the first outing on clays ruptured one of the barrels. By the grace of god he was holding the wood like an over and under and not the traditional hold of a side by side or he would have surely lost his hand.
Makes you wonder how much stress the proofing induced to the gun. ~Muir

They dont proof mods, they inspect them if sent on own and issue stamp. Shotguns and rifles are the same if sent by manafacturer only odd ones tested, unless sent by gunsmith they then test and stamp..

They dont proof mods, they inspect them if sent on own and issue stamp. Shotguns and rifles are the same if sent by manafacturer only odd ones tested, unless sent by gunsmith they then test and stamp..
With all due respect, you are suggesting that the Proof Houses are intentionally breaking the Gun Barrel Proof Act on multiple occasions per year.

You have no idea at all of what happens inside a Proof House. Was this something you heard down the pub or in a curry house after a few lagers?

I would suggest you get yourself on a visit to one, whether in the UK or another CIP country and acquaint yourself with the truth, rather than, at worst, committing libel or, at best, exposing your blatant ignorance.

Or, on the basis that you really believe what you say, could you please enlighten us by providing evidence of your claims that the Proof Houses do not in fact proof guns?

With all due respect, you are suggesting that the Proof Houses are intentionally breaking the Gun Barrel Proof Act on multiple occasions per year.

You have no idea at all of what happens inside a Proof House. Was this something you heard down the pub or in a curry house after a few lagers?

I would suggest you get yourself on a visit to one, whether in the UK or another CIP country and acquaint yourself with the truth, rather than, at worst, committing libel or, at best, exposing your blatant ignorance.

Or, on the basis that you really believe what you say, could you please enlighten us by providing evidence of your claims that the Proof Houses do not in fact proof guns?
I am not agueing I am stateing what was published a few years ago and what the gun trade often speeks about and prey tell me how they test fire a moderator? and if you say attached to a barrel, how without marking it?. and I have visited tboth proof houses in the uk and test facilities in spain.

I would have thought the main difference between proofed and none proofed is whether you can resell/sell the item on. I thought that if you had work done ie barrel shortened/threaded you need to get it reproofed or you can't sell it??

I have visited tboth proof houses in the uk and test facilities in spain.
I am glad you have been able to do so.
Shotguns and rifles are the same if sent by manafacturer only odd ones tested, unless sent by gunsmith they then test and stamp..
So on what evidence are you able to state that the Proof Houses do batch testing on shotguns and rifles ("only odd ones tested"), rather than the 2 proof rounds per barrel as required in law under the Gun Barrel Proof Act - which the UK Proof Authority is responsible for enacting?

Back