prostalking

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...

swarovski

How many acres of ground would I need to become a full time stalker, would I need to have more than one species of deer.

Distinguished Member
How many acres of ground would I need to become a full time stalker, would I need to have more than one species of deer.

i would say deer numbers would be more important than acres, as you need the deer to be able to shoot them !!!!

User00014

well i had a dabble and i found that 5000 acres isnt enough to make a living from! pocket money yes pay the bills NO

i now have access to 3-4 times more than that and i recon its still not enough

Lloyd90

Its all going to depend , if you have 100 acre's that every deer in miles is drawn too and passes regularly then you could be ok.
If you have 100,000 and there isn't 1 deer on the whole thing, then your screwed

well i had a dabble and i found that 5000 acres isnt enough to make a living from! pocket money yes pay the bills NO

i now have access to 3-4 times more than that and i recon its still not enough
I would echo what Lee said, I have 3000 acres of access with roe, fallow and red, but could do with more, but for various reasons I have jacked it in, be under no illusion it isn't an easy business to be in, you can ring me if you like for a chat.
Cheers
Richard

Paul at Fechan

it's not acres it's deer, think of it like this. If an outing is worth x and a deer is worth y on average then how is the split going to pay for running costs and a wage? Your outing fees covers running costs generally but what about that wage?!

Muntjac are easy, because if you've a 200 within your area then you need to shoot about 170 a year just to keep the population steady! At say £40 a doe or Juvenile buck and then a scale up to medal you might find that your average carcass shot value is £60+ so if you shoot those 170 you're @ a 10k wage but what if you have roe only..... :eek:

With roe you need big acreage to have the numbers and your running costs are much higher because of the distribution of the deer. John does well but then the stalking is only one part of a bigger business and always remember the weather is not your friend!

atb
p

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
I'm full time, About 12,000 acres over 30 farms or so.
Lots of clients and lots of roe.
Busy for most of the year stalking twice daily taking a deer every 2 outings or so. 5-7 medals a year. 200 deer a year.
I have a nearly new truck had a holiday and pay tax so am doing fine.
I still run a game shoot and now have another company European hunting, we have so far this winter got 5 trips abroad for groups.
It didn't come over night though and has taken 8 years to get it where it is.

Monkey Spanker

I don't think the question is specific enough?
Do you mean as full time culling just yourself or taking clients out, or maybe both?
MS

Taff

I would want at least fallow and roe as a minimum, and 5000 acres of well stocked ground to offer a good service to clients and a tidy life style.

prometheus

You also have to think of cost of ground if you have leases, and you should. From a business prospective loose informal permissions are very dangerous from a business plan perspective.

UK Outfitters