Pulsar Axion XM30

Leupsak

Having changed my thermal spotter for an Axion XM30 I thought I would provide some stills for others that may be looking to do the same.
I have used or owned other models and have to say very impressed these last few months. Battery life is good and it is truly pocket sized and start up is quick. Controls are simple and changing contrast and brightness is easy and is needed as the temperature and lighting levels change for optimum viewing.
Much better than the key model for image quality and although a Helion is better for me the Axion is perfect and can be charged in your pocket with a USB battery bank if you forget to charge it, as I often do when I get home!
The XM30 is good for woodland as it has a good field of view.

Fallow doe at 90 yards in darkness
img_052.jpg

Same fallow
img_049.jpg

Badger at 10 yards charging out of the undergrowth with me thinking what the f**k is that!!!!!!!
And 2 seconds later him thinking the same:lol:
img_028.jpg

Last edited:

Cottis

When a badger goes past you at full tilt, it sounds like an asthmatic horse is bolting right through a hedge. Very offputting.

The times I have been most scared whilst shooting at night have been an invited meeting with a badger and mistakingly entering a field of horses and getting in the middle of them while they got scared and charged around like demented idiots.

Thermal now means the horse mistake will not be repeated but badgers have this habit of creeping up on you without either realising and then both crapping themselves when they realise what has happened. Damned things.

Leupsak

Key has a lower quality display and no ability to take images or video.

Last edited:

.243Hunter

The keys have the same sensor and lens as the XM models, but the key does not include wifi/recording , it also doesn't come with a battery charger dock, you charge within the unit or buy one separate, also the smaller screen size. Saying that on a basis of pure bang for buck the key models are hard to beat, exact same detection as the model above.. Some prefer the larger AMOLED display that fills the full eye piece on the XM

Leupsak

The keys have the same sensor and lens as the XM models, but the key does not include wifi/recording , it also doesn't come with a battery charger dock, you charge within the unit or buy one separate, also the smaller screen size. Saying that on a basis of pure bang for buck the key models are hard to beat, exact same detection as the model above.. Some prefer the larger AMOLED display that fills the full eye piece on the XM
I certainly do, felt it was a bit like a widescreen on the wall or a portable TV at the end of the room

12borejimbo

Bought one of these 2 weeks ago, been out twice with it and accounted for 9 foxes so far. Works very well with me spotting and my mate shooting with his NV scope.

EMcC

When charging the XM30 with the battery fitted, how do you know when the battery is fully charged. When plugged in there is a small green diode showing, does that change ?

Andy RV

What are these like for spotting rabbits out to say 100yds and squirrels in woods
A friend has the basic key model, it was easy to spot rabbits on a bank 200m away the other night, however at this range they do appear as white dots, rather than sharp crisp rabbits. I used the helion xp38 for a couple of months last winter and from memory the image appeared slightly sharper in comparison to the key?...

Leupsak

When charging the XM30 with the battery fitted, how do you know when the battery is fully charged. When plugged in there is a small green diode showing, does that change ?
Battery level in the viewfinder

Leupsak

Thanks for that. It would seem I need to charge it a bit longer than two hours ;)
Can take 5 or 6 hours to get it fully charged particularly from new, good for a few outings once its charged but you do need to remember to put it on charge!