Pulsar Core FXQ50

Munty1

I am thinking of buying a Pulsar Core FXQ50, anyone got one who can give me a breakdown on suitability please?

Last edited:

mealiejimmy

Simple recommendation - don't bother!!
They claim it to be both a thermal spotter and a thermal scope (front add-on) but as with most devices which claim to do more than one thing, they actually do neither very well.
As a spotter, the magnification is too low (x1) The equivalent stand alone spotter (XQ50) has a magnification of x4
As a front add-on for a normal dayscope, the maximum usable magnification on the dayscope is between x 2 and x5 because the day scope is looking at the display on the thermal.
As the day scope magnification increases, the individual pixels on the thermal display become more and more prominent.
The maximum usable magnification will depend on the users tolerance to a pixellated display.
Also, the faffing around involved in fitting and removing the add-on to use it as a spotter and then then use it as a scope will rapidly become a PITA
If you have £3260.00 to spend on an FXQ50, then I'd respectfully suggest you spend around £1900 on a Helion XQ38F or around £2200 on a Helion XQ50F and the remainder on a decent digital NV scope such as the Pulsar N355 or LRF N970

Cheers

Bruce

J&S

Great advice Bruce. I looked into a Core FXQ 38 and quickly abandoned the idea with much the same reasons you give above

Simple recommendation - don't bother!!
They claim it to be both a thermal spotter and a thermal scope (front add-on) but as with most devices which claim to do more than one thing, they actually do neither very well.
As a spotter, the magnification is too low (x1) The equivalent stand alone spotter (XQ50) has a magnification of x4
As a front add-on for a normal dayscope, the maximum usable magnification on the dayscope is between x 2 and x5 because the day scope is looking at the display on the thermal.
As the day scope magnification increases, the individual pixels on the thermal display become more and more prominent.
The maximum usable magnification will depend on the users tolerance to a pixellated display.
Also, the faffing around involved in fitting and removing the add-on to use it as a spotter and then then use it as a scope will rapidly become a PITA
If you have £3260.00 to spend on an FXQ50, then I'd respectfully suggest you spend around £1900 on a Helion XQ38F or around £2200 on a Helion XQ50F and the remainder on a decent digital NV scope such as the Pulsar N355 or LRF N970

Cheers

Bruce

mchughcb

I am thinking of buying a Pulsar Core FXQ50, anyone got one who can give me a breakdown on suitable please?

I've seen a mate use one. Its extremely long and ruins the balance of the rifle. I'm yet to see them use it as a spotter. As a scope goes, it can't hold a candle to the dedicated ones I've looked through.

Colonel

I bought one and to cut a long story short I sent it back within days for a refund. I missed a fox at about 80yds, a major shift in POA. DON’T BOTHER.

Last edited:

Munty1

Thank you all for your help. I will be taking the advice and not buying one.
I have decided to buy a hand held pulsar and I am borrowing a IR attachment for my scope with a view to purchasing it.

Once again many thanks for your advice.