David’s JAK (Just a knife)

John Gryphon

A few bunnies were kicking around "the old house" on property about a K from home and this arvo I thought to go down and pop a rabbit or two. Over the years I have shot many 1000`s of rabbits and today was the first time for a long time that I had tooled up for a crack at them as I leave them for others to pop. I had three shots for three busted heads with the old Krico .22 LR. Its got a roo toe for a trigger a cheap as all **** scope but is as accurate as any other. A mate shot several 1000 rabbits with that old Krico poking it out of the passenger window as I drove around the paddocks at night,its had its share of the humble rabbit but is now generally used for trapped dogs.
I had of course taken a knife with me to open the rabbits up and leg them,it's in the photo and it may look like "just a knife' with its fake stag antler handle.....well it's not such a thing at all.
It was a gift from a mate a month ago along with other items. I had made the trip down to Melbourne to see him as he is suffering from terminal myeloid leukemia and we fear that he isnt going to beat it. We of course do hope for the best and wish him well and my 'just a knife' has been used today and will continue to be used and add to his mateship of 46 years and help keep it bright in my memory every time it goes in my sky rocket. I will send him the photo to brighten him up a smidge.
Apologies for the pic,I had obviously clouded part of the lens with the cool con`s here but you will get the drift. It isnt about the knife quality or the rabbits, it's about good mates and memories that are hard to replicate.
The open eye will see the countless sambar bristles on the chopping block,that old block and axe have seen many deer chopped up for dog tucker on it and the heads and feet of the rabbits will be chopped on it too. I will split the aitch with the knife
The knife was fairly blunt when I opened the rabbits up but did I care? No,not one bit as it was David`s knife.

just_a_knife_pic.jpg

Hi John

Tis all about the memories - with your chum, the knife et al.
Best wishes for the outcome for your chum - many a good thing modern medicine can do.

L

Hi John

Tis all about the memories - with your chum, the knife et al.
Best wishes for the outcome for your chum - many a good thing modern medicine can do.

L
Thank you for the replies above.
Mr Loki I fear the worst,hope for the best,I spoke to him yesterday on the ph and he has been having a tough time with the schitt they are pumping into him. My words of encouragement are a`plenty but I fear that he has had enough of ..words.

If it truly looks like he won’t make it do what my partner done for her best school mate and that was loaded her up,into a wheel chair from the terminal care home and took her to where ever she wanted to go which was the pub.Nurses said it probably shortened her time but it was the happiest they had seen her in months.

If it truly looks like he won’t make it do what my partner done for her best school mate and that was loaded her up,into a wheel chair from the terminal care home and took her to where ever she wanted to go which was the pub.Nurses said it probably shortened her time but it was the happiest they had seen her in months.
Yes,I saw on the telly an old bloke that was gonna snuff it in days being taken to his favourite beach in an Ambulance then wheeled out to the surf by the Ambo blokes....almost a tear....almost!

Now there are a few on here that have read my post re the heading of Just A Knife and today SD member kimh has suggested a wonderful idea for "the knife" I personally think that it is brilliant.
Part of his email to me below in bold....

Qu: Re: your thread, just a thought, send me your mate's knife (your knife), I'll shoot three rabbits,and send it on to the next shooter, let your mate watch his knife travel the world? Eq:

There ya go and I`m sure that he will be chuffed to the moon and back to hear of its travels,first stop from Australia is Gloucestershire. Not even i know where it will head from there.

As above when the knife arrives in your care, shoot three rabbits (head shots) and lay them out with the knife as in the pic and send it on.

kimh I don`t know you other from the SD but you have a weeks sambar hunting as my guest.

Back