Quad courses: LANTRA Vs C&G?

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!

NickJ

Can I ask what your landowner i.e. FLS, FE, Forestry Company etc require for a quad skills certification, is it LANTRA, City & Guilds or either?

Thanks
Nick

muddy42

I didn't even know such a course existed or was required. Tell them its none of their business and that you have a general health and safety policy. The template can be downloaded from the web.

caberslash

I didn't even know such a course existed or was required. Tell them its none of their business and that you have a general health and safety policy. The template can be downloaded from the web.

Doubt that will work...

@NickJ

Find out who is local to you, they will usually push a two day course but tell them you are already experienced and just need a refresher.

It's a box ticking and money spinning exercise and we all know that time is money 😉

muddy42

Doubt that will work...

@NickJ

Find out who is local to you, they will usually push a two day course but tell them you are already experienced and just need a refresher.

It's a box ticking and money spinning exercise and we all know that time is money 😉

Yup probably right. I hope I never get asked.

monarman

Lantra should be sufficient as the content is the same as any other course except as previously mentioned some companies like to milk it and get 2 days training and an assessment day....
All my training for my work is Lantra and our insurers the NFU are happy with that.... lantra is an awarding body the same as c&g etc....

monarman

They all advise your refresh after 3 or 5 years... I.know I had to.do.my telehandler again and that was nptc....

Skogsmannen

If my memory serves me well, When I did my quad ticket the best option was the NPTC one that I did, as it is a permanent qualification whereas Lantra was valid for a limited time only.
Ian

I think that's still the case.

They all advise your refresh after 3 or 5 years... I.know I had to.do.my telehandler again and that was nptc....

Yes, but usually a refresher is just that and isn't as in depth as doing the whole course again (or at least that's been my experience so far.)

Treedave

In the world of CPD (continuous professional development) nothing that Lantra or NPTC lasts for ever anymore. My latest sit in Atv qual lasted 3 years before recommending a refresher. Most employers/land owners will want it ”in date” and FC/FLS may restrict who they’ll take in the first place (they used only take NPTC but not lantra chainsaw quals).
I’ve got a couple of contacts that can come out to site/machines if you want to go that way - they may be worth a call to ask the question anyway?

DEER STALKER

In the world of CPD (continuous professional development) nothing that Lantra or NPTC lasts for ever anymore. My latest sit in Atv qual lasted 3 years before recommending a refresher. Most employers/land owners will want it ”in date” and FC/FLS may restrict who they’ll take in the first place (they used only take NPTC but not lantra chainsaw quals).
I’ve got a couple of contacts that can come out to site/machines if you want to go that way - they may be worth a call to ask the question anyway?

But my NTPC sit astride is 10 years old and the certificate has no expire date only a valid from date. F&LS and other forestry management companies have all accepted my certificate as recently as April this year. Are you saying that if I was to do the NTPC today it would have an expire date on it?

Thanks

Treedave

But my NTPC sit astride is 10 years old and the certificate has no expire date only a valid from date. F&LS and other forestry management companies have all accepted my certificate as recently as April this year. Are you saying that if I was to do the NTPC today it would have an expire date on it?

Thanks
Not got gospel on it for Atv, but all NPTC chainsaw quals have a “lifespan” of 3 years for part time users and 5 yrs for pro users. No refresher = no ticket. Fairly standard to have a refresher clause in the qual these days - even your driving licence has an expiry date on it.That’s from FE and I presume FLS will be the same, other end of the spectrum from the owners only want to see you PL is in date and craic on.
If they take it, you’ve filled their criteria. All it shows is that at that time could demo basic competence / knowledge on the machine. If it all hits the fan and the judge asks you if you where current with best practice how you gonna show it? That’s all the refreshers show (and a kind donation to the elderly trainers fund).

Skogsmannen

Also with the chainsaw quals, instead of doing a refresher of your existing qual, you can complete the next part up when the refresher was due (so if you had what was cs30&31, you coul do cs32 for example) and that would negate the need to refresh for another 5 years.

I'm not a fan of being told we need to refresh but I don't mind a bit of upskilling if I have no choice.

TH4

Not got gospel on it for Atv, but all NPTC chainsaw quals have a “lifespan” of 3 years for part time users and 5 yrs for pro users. No refresher = no ticket. Fairly standard to have a refresher clause in the qual these days - even your driving licence has an expiry date on it.That’s from FE and I presume FLS will be the same, other end of the spectrum from the owners only want to see you PL is in date and craic on.
If they take it, you’ve filled their criteria. All it shows is that at that time could demo basic competence / knowledge on the machine. If it all hits the fan and the judge asks you if you where current with best practice how you gonna show it? That’s all the refreshers show (and a kind donation to the elderly trainers fund).
Your driving license may have an expiry date but you do not have to do a refresher course, you just send off for a new one.

DEER STALKER

I understand that chainsaw certs have an expire date and reasons why, quads are dangerous if used incorrectly too.

However, The point I’m making is the NTCP quad certificate does not have an expire date and Lantra certification does and for this reason I would never recommend Lantra for this competence (I do have other Lantra qualifications though) - If **** hits the fan as you suggest, then me or my NTCP qualified operatives are covered as I use a generic risk assessment alongside "HSE - Safe use of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) in agriculture and forestry" - FISA Quad Safety Guid 701 - Emergency Evac Plans - Lone Working - PLB's etc. In fact, there no legislation that states I must take a refresher quad training if my NTCP certificate is in date and valid.

If anyone wants to take the Lantra quad training and have to refresh every 3/5 years then fine - But I recommend the above!

Terrydeer

Thanks
Best practice is to get a refresher every 3 years or 5 years depending on your use of the machine

DEER STALKER

Thank you for your input - Can you point me to the best practice for which relates to refresher specific for ATV sit astride every 3 or 5 years as you suggest, because the FISA Guide and H&S don’t state this neither does NTCP - Genuine request and not being pedantic but what do you mean by "depending on your use of the machine"

Last edited: