Question about adjusting the trigger of a BSA Hunter

HandB

Hi Everyone,

I've got a BSA Hunter in .222 that has an adjustable trigger with a nice crisp pull. The bolt is held in by the trigger sear but I have found the bolt is very tricky to remove so I need to adjust the trigger to solve this. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

sikasako

I'd be very careful if adjusting trigger pull.
My pal had a BSA (not sure which model) in 243 which also was very difficult to remove bolt.
He had a method where by slipping a cable tie below the bolt when pulling it back it was possible to remove it.
While out foxing one night he had his rifle loaded (with safety on) when it suddenly discharged without any warning.
Thankfully he had good muzzle awareness and no harm was caused.
That was the last time he brought that particular rifle out foxing, as it couldn't be trusted.

HandB

Thanks - yes, as it happens the trigger is crisp but rather light for safety at the moment, so I would like to make it not only properly adjusted for removing the bolt, but also a little bit heavier to avoid the risk of a no pull discharge such as your friend suffered.

Uncle Norm

The procedure for removing the bolt is . Safety catch off, dry fire, keep pressure on trigger, lift bolt and remove.
I found that the slightest involuntary movement of the trigger finger can prevent the bolt being released. My remedy is to point the rifle upwards, press the trigger with my thumb, maintain pressure with thumb, lift the bolt and remove.
The trigger unit is adjustable once the stock has been removed, however I would be inclined to ask a rifle-smith to do it.

Highlandsjohn

The procedure for removing the bolt is . Safety catch off, dry fire, keep pressure on trigger, lift bolt and remove.
I found that the slightest involuntary movement of the trigger finger can prevent the bolt being released. My remedy is to point the rifle upwards, press the trigger with my thumb, maintain pressure with thumb, lift the bolt and remove.
The trigger unit is adjustable once the stock has been removed, however I would be inclined to ask a rifle-smith to do it.
If you don't know best to take it to a gunsmith.john

Uncle Norm

Here is an old SD thread that may assist.

HandB

Thanks - that's interesting. I have had a look at the trigger and it turns out the screw on the face of the trigger blade unscrews to lighten the trigger pull. The screw on the front of the trigger block unscrews to increase travel of the trigger. The screw on the back of the trigger is a mystery. Its hole intersects with the hole for the screw for lightening the trigger pull, suggesting at first glance it might be a locking screw. But it doesn't reach far enough in to lock it. So I have no idea what it does.