Question

Hudson12

With having both cabinet and ammo/bolt boxes can you keep your cabinet keys locked in your ammo box hence needing to put three keys in secret locations one key is easier than carrying three around all the time

LuckyEddie

1 set of keys with me virtually at all times. Other set is in 1 secure location only I know of and listed in my will in case something should happen to me.

Ed

bobjs

keys locked in a safe at home, spares in another safe in the family business,

and have the codes to both safes, the wife has a pass code should anything happen to me. :)

bob.

Hudson12

I like the digi safe idea tbh to eliminate having to carry any keys but one key on the hey ring isn’t too bad if I can get away with using ammo safe as store for box keys

kes

Keys hidden where only I know - dont plan on dying yet.
Spares for one gun safe in the ammo safe of another, the final spare key is in another safe not easily understood to be secure i.e. disguised.

Orion

On a hook inside the unlocked back door with all the other house and vehicle keys.

Another benefit of living in a low crime area. ;)

Hudson12

On a hook inside the unlocked back door with all the other house and vehicle keys.

Another benefit of living in a low crime area. ;)
Remember my old uncle keeping his guns at the back of the tv in the front room with ammo on the fireplace lol

Pedro

The idea of having a separate safe or lock box for ammo is that anyone looking to steal your stuff will find it twice as difficult having to get past two locked doors. So if you keep the keys to your gun cabinet in your ammo safe, that potentially defeats the object.

countrryboy

Agree with Pedro above.
And by the same token absolutely no point in having multiple cabinets/locks if all keys on the same keyring.
Find 1 key find the lot

Just defeats the whole point of multiple cabinets/locks.
I have thought about storing keys in a separate cabinet but have seen clips off how easy it is to break into cheaper safes.

vitalspark

All safe keys kept in an approved key safe. I fixed it in such a bloody awkward position it's difficult for me to open, even with the code

kes

When I first started shooting with my dad, (rabbits with a borrowed shotgun), the farmer who's land we shot, kept his side by side behind the backdoor, loaded. He also had an old .22 Winchester pump - tube feed he kept that in the pantry - loaded naturally. Long time ago now. When he saw a rabbit or a crow he just grabbed one or other and shot out of the window.

VSS

When I first started shooting with my dad, (rabbits with a borrowed shotgun), the farmer who's land we shot, kept his side by side behind the backdoor, loaded. He also had an old .22 Winchester pump - tube feed he kept that in the pantry - loaded naturally. Long time ago now. When he saw a rabbit or a crow he just grabbed one or other and shot out of the window.
Sounds like my dad! He used to pot pheasants on the lawn, at dawn, out of the bedroom window with a 12 bore.

Reactions: kes

Woodsmoke

I have two cabinets, and an ammo safe too. I just keep the keys well-hidden. As always, complying with HO guidance and 'reasonable precautions' is the name of the game :thumb:

Fosbery Holster

I remember many many years ago there was a report in the National newspapers about, If my memory serves me well, one of the Queens solicitors who had a visit from the Metropolitan Police to check on his firearms security, on asking his mother if her son was available she replied no he isn’t but if you need to check his security l know where he keeps his keys, well that didn’t go down well with the boys in blue, and the above said solicitor was severely reprimanded, now here’s where the old grey matter fails, was it just a reprimand or were his firearms removed??

Obviously the moral to the tale is whatever you decide is best for your security keep it secret !! Now where the feck did l hide them fecking keys, mother do you remember??

I like the above reply, “under the mop bucket”.

kes

His guns were removed if I remember correctly as were those of a 'worthy' who had about 150 rounds of ammo above his limit for a .223 ?
Because only you has the certificate, only you can know how to access them, failure to observe this principle will result in removal I am told.

Hudson12

Yes I’m fully aware of only me knowing where the keys are ect and tbh would never share that with anyone as my family are so helpful they would do the same as the queens solicitors mum and gladly open the cabinet up for the police thinking they were doing a good job lol stick to keeping them on me and the spare set buried like a pirate