Quickload Request

Biathlonjimmy

Dearest Quickload users,

Would any one of you be so kind as to run 90% case fill - Max pressure for a .300WSM with a 200gr ELD-X under RS70? 24" barrel.

There is absolutely zero data out there and I'm keen to find out where I should be with start and max loads. I'm guessing 60gr-65gr min-max.

Many thanks in advance.

NigelM

Dearest Quickload users,

Would any one of you be so kind as to run 90% case fill - Max pressure for a .300WSM with a 200gr ELD-X under RS70? 24" barrel.

There is absolutely zero data out there and I'm keen to find out where I should be with start and max loads. I'm guessing 60gr-65gr min-max.

Many thanks in advance.
I got quick load not long ago but have been doing a lot of playing with it on 4 different chamberings. I am certainly not an expert but am half competent I hope. Warning given!

I have run 300WSM with 200 ELD-X in a 24" barrel with standard COAL at 2.860". The big one that stands out is volume of case occupied by bullet which is a huge 13.359 grains of the 81.3 available. You are loosing a lot of potential with this bullet. Quickload gives max pressure for the cartridge at 63817 psi. Please check it's correct before you go any further.

Using RS70 max pressure is reached at around 67.5 grains. This presumes that the bullet is seated well off the lands. If very close or into the lands this charge will be over pressure. You would need to work up to this and watch for sticky bolts, ejector marks and flat primers. I would be starting at 64 grains which in theory is 53kpsi but could be over 60k if into the lands.

90% case fill is only 60 grains and 42kpsi pressure.

All that said, 66grains should give 2847fps, 67.5 grains at 2912fps.

According to quick load you have the 3rd ranked powder for velocity. R26 is top, Norma MRP 2nd, RS70 3rd, IMR7828SSC 4th, VV N560 5th.

Again, please don't take this as gospel. I have found quick load needs to be calibrated against a known powder/bullet/cartridge combination before you can really start to trust it. And bear in mind I still have L plates on.

Hope that gives you a bit of help.

Yorric

My QL has Reload Swiss data but not the ELD-X bullet.
Not knowing the ELD-X bullet length or your seating depth. I ran QL with other 200 grain bullets at QL default COAL & it shows 60 grains as a reasonable pressure start load (90.3% case fill) of RS70 & 65 grains as a reasonable max well below PMAX for your chambering.
So your info is somewhere in the right ball park Jimmy.
My recomendation is to contact Reload Swiss direct & ask them the question. In the past I have had load data sent to me from them in response to similar questions. --- The info they sent me was QL printouts.

Ian

Biathlonjimmy

Ian, Nigel, Lateral.

Many thanks for your swift replies.

Nigel, that information (caveats noted) is pure gold. You're right about the seating depth, I can only get away with col of 2.862 in a standard tikka mag and this is way off the lands with the shape of the ELD-X. I was using 165gr interbonds under superformance but heavier bullets is where the wsm should excel even with the impeded powder capacity. The goal is to get an accuracy node with muzzle velocity >2800fps and on paper I'm happy it looks possible.

Ian, Thanks for your info. I will send RS an email to see what they have. I have their booklet but it is sparse. I'll probably kick off with 62gr and work up from there.

Thanks all,

James

Lateral

Nigel,

I have Version 3.8, which I believe is the latest version ? Please can you tell me where to find the RS powder data, and the ELD-x ? I seem to be missing a lot of data !

NigelM

Nigel,

I have Version 3.8, which I believe is the latest version ? Please can you tell me where to find the RS powder data, and the ELD-x ? I seem to be missing a lot of data !
I'm on 3.9 so you probably need an update before you will find them.

NigelM

Ian, Nigel, Lateral.

Many thanks for your swift replies.

Nigel, that information (caveats noted) is pure gold. You're right about the seating depth, I can only get away with col of 2.862 in a standard tikka mag and this is way off the lands with the shape of the ELD-X. I was using 165gr interbonds under superformance but heavier bullets is where the wsm should excel even with the impeded powder capacity. The goal is to get an accuracy node with muzzle velocity >2800fps and on paper I'm happy it looks possible.

Ian, Thanks for your info. I will send RS an email to see what they have. I have their booklet but it is sparse. I'll probably kick off with 62gr and work up from there.

Thanks all,

James
Just another bit of older fashioned information to log.

I worked up a load for my 280AI last weekend using the 162 ELD-X. I have been using 145 LRX from Barnes. I used my Barnes data to base the Quickload calibration on but found in practice that what Quickload suggested was a top load using the 162's was well over pressure. I got a stiff bolt and ejector marks nearly 2 grains before I got to the theoretical maximum.

My theory is that the starting pressure with the ELD-X bullets is significantly higher than the Barnes because of their very long bearing surface and seating depth. Increasing starting pressure in Quickload compensated for this and once corrected started to give results that matched what I was seeing in the field.