Quickload simulations

Border

Hello,
When modelling QL simulations what are you looking for/aiming to achieve?
I obviously choose a powder to achieve good case fill and hopefully a full burn in the barrel length.
I have heard that ballistic efficiency over 30 is great.
I also input my own cartridge overflow capacities.
When it comes to max pressure and the pressure curve graph, are you looking for pressure just under max, built quickly (a steep peak?) or a more gradual pressure build at a lower max?
Any tips or pointers greatfully received.

As an example does this look alright for a max load? (I know that the bullet is seated deep, factory c.o.a.l)
I would start at a lower charge just to verify velocities first.

Skjermbilde (2).png

mealiejimmy

I enter the cartridge and bullet details and then run the 1,2,3 simulation with the pressures set to max for that cartridge and the maximum fill ratio of 110%
I then get a list of the powder and load that will give the highest MV without exceeding the maximum pressure
You can tune the 1,2,3 simulation to any pressure you want and to any fill ratio.
With the 1,2,3 simulation you can see how your selected powder compares with others.
This is just my method, I'm sure others will have their own way of doing things, but as is always the case (and particularly with QL) start low and work up in small steps.

Cheers

Bruce

Muir

You buy QL. Enter the painstakingly measured data they require, get the results and then put them up for referendum? All the while Vhit has data on their site for that powder/cartridge combination?

I'm missing the point to the exercise. ~Muir

srvet

I start with the cartridge and bullet of choice, then choose a powder that will give me an appropriate velocity to the task in hand whilst maintaining sub 105% case fill. I look at the barrel time estimations and try to match two consecutive OBT nodes within the incremental charge weights I load. I load 1 round per charge weight in 0.3 grain increments (308 sized cases or larger) and shoot them over the chronograph. I then take that data back to QL and try to true the simulation to the actual measured muzzle velocity using the Burning rate, start initiation pressure and weighting factor until I get it to be as close as I can to matching real data. Then I relook at the velocity flat spots and OBT nodes and select the most stable area before loading 3 round samples at, above and below the suspected node. I shoot these for group and ES/SD to choose the one with most stable ignition before altering seating depth.

NigelM

I start with the cartridge and bullet of choice, then choose a powder that will give me an appropriate velocity to the task in hand whilst maintaining sub 105% case fill. I look at the barrel time estimations and try to match two consecutive OBT nodes within the incremental charge weights I load. I load 1 round per charge weight in 0.3 grain increments (308 sized cases or larger) and shoot them over the chronograph. I then take that data back to QL and try to true the simulation to the actual measured muzzle velocity using the Burning rate, start initiation pressure and weighting factor until I get it to be as close as I can to matching real data. Then I relook at the velocity flat spots and OBT nodes and select the most stable area before loading 3 round samples at, above and below the suspected node. I shoot these for group and ES/SD to choose the one with most stable ignition before altering seating depth.
Exactly this. Nothing more to add.