Quickload tips and questions thread

NigelM

Having invested in Quickload not long ago and having now worked up two loads using it I have a few questions, which I'm sure others must have wrestled with too, so thought a Quickload tips and questions thread might benefit all users.

So I have measured my case capacity and found it quite different to Quickloads database, measured the bullet and have all my bullet cartridge data as accurate as it can possibly be. I have read lots of advise online and they all suggest accurate measurement is key to success, so I don't think this is uncommon.

I choose my powder, find a load that is 8% below max theoretical pressure, load up 5 rounds and shoot them. The velocity is higher than predicted by 40 fps so I need to adjust something in Quickload to compensate so I can see what pressure I am actually generating. There are three main options I can see, Weighting Factor, Shot Start Pressure and Powder Burn Rate.

In what order do you adjust them?

My logic was the 280AI is slightly overbore, so dropped the Weighting factor to 0.4 from the recommended standard of 0.5. I thin upped the starting pressure to 5000 psi, even though I am 30 thou off the lands, and the final tweek was a very small change to the burn rate.

Am I right? How would you have done it?

Spiker

NigelIM.

I have used QL for almost nine years. It is a guide not scientific fact. Some powders produce completely different velocities/pressures compared with those published by QL

The beauty of it is that you can change the variables.

The only real option is to have you loads pressure tested.

Laurie Holland is knowledgeable on QL. You can contact him on UK Varmint "Laurie". He is very approachable.

Spiker

Sauer90

And you have to take into account lot to lot powder variance. Doubtless that your current powder lot will perform differently than the bomb test that data was acquired from...

NigelM

And you have to take into account lot to lot powder variance. Doubtless that your current powder lot will perform differently than the bomb test that data was acquired from...
Spot on. I changed powder batch half way through the load development and lost about 40fps. I had to increase the load by 0.8 grains to compensate. So back to the OP, changing burn rate to get the velocity match must be one of the variables we should be playing with.

NigelM

NigelIM.

I have used QL for almost nine years. It is a guide not scientific fact. Some powders produce completely different velocities/pressures compared with those published by QL

The beauty of it is that you can change the variables.

The only real option is to have you loads pressure tested.

Laurie Holland is knowledgeable on QL. You can contact him on UK Varmint "Laurie". He is very approachable.

Spiker
Thank you Spiker. I will get in touch with Laurie and see if he can shed any further light.