Quite fancy a tikka tx1 but...

Whitester

Got a slot for 22 lr and have been looking at all the usual suspects.

I like the tx1 but I can't get over how far the mag sticks out the bottom of the action.

Apart from looking odd I can't help thinking that it would get stuck on things like struck window ledge.

Anyone know if they plan to do. A smaller mag or if I am worrying about nothing.

Wulliewinky

Got a slot for 22 lr and have been looking at all the usual suspects.

I like the tx1 but I can't get over how far the mag sticks out the bottom of the action.

Apart from looking odd I can't help thinking that it would get stuck on things like struck window ledge.

Anyone know if they plan to do. A smaller mag or if I am worrying about nothing.
Unless you get a rifle with an internal magazine they all stick out fella

8x57

Distinguished Member

You are worrying about nothing. It's a 10 round magazine so bound to protrude a bit. I've never encountered any problems when using the 10 round magazine on my CZ which also sticks out when shooting from the truck.

Hereford

In my experience it’s the length of the rifle in a truck rather than the magazine sticking out that can make things tricky - it’s easier to shoot my Anschutz 22lr out of both driver and passenger windows but my Sako 22wmr is easier (and much safer) to handle and line up out the passenger window. The longer 9 shot mags on both rifles have never got snarled up, from memory - although a friend moans about the higher window ledge in his defender - I’ve told him that’s the least of his problems!

Cottis

I have Anschutz rimmies with their ten and five shot mags. The five shot is neater but as others have said, the longer ones do not get in the way anywhere near as much as you would think, if at all. You then have the added bonus of not having to faff about with reloading a magazine as much.

mealiejimmy

It's a great rifle and the 10 shot mag is NOT a problem when shooting from a vehicle.
The mag is plastic with no sharp corners to catch on anything - unlike the metal 10 shot on my Sako Finnfire

Cheers

Bruce

Jdt

As Bruce says above it's a great rifle,the magazine does not protrude out far at all and it's definately less than say a CZ

Fendator

I don't think I'd buy a t1, kind of feels very rough around the edges, and have seen a few vids on YouTube and the groups were poor enough

hammer 1

I have a t1x, I waited a year for it. I have not had a chance to test it extensively. Snow here, has been about 2 and a half feet. I have although, tried it, and the few rounds I have put through it, have delivered, very nice groups. I do not find the mag, obtrusive. But we are not allowed to hunt from a vehicle. It is a rifle I would recommend to anyone

Reactions: Jdt

Jdt

I don't think I'd buy a t1, kind of feels very rough around the edges, and have seen a few vids on YouTube and the groups were poor enough
Totally disagree with this,mine is a great rifle and groups are fantastic at 50yds

bumpy22

at last i have found a report that is bad. have had mine since they came out groups fantastic. best rimfire i have shot. recent report by one of the mags said it was most accurate hmr he had used. not sure you picked up the right rifle as rough would not be a description i would use

Muir

Nor I. Mine continues to be the reason I have retired most of my considerable collection of CZ, BRNO, and Ruger bolt guns. I got the first one in Montana and there are no more to be had so they can't be too bad.~Muir

hammer 1

I have the first and only one my local gun shop has been able to get. It is very difficult to get in the states. Mine shoots as good as my anschutz 1416 hb

ejg

I've had two. Keep one and a friend gets the other. I have not shot as many rounds as others have but did notice quite some improvement after around 50 shots. Way prefer it over the CZ.
edi

Muir

Having been in the position of having been hired to test rimfire ammuniton, I know that many people do not do it correctly. I don't even get serious about new rifle accuracy until i have put at least a box of ammunition through it. Some CZ's have required up to 5 boxes before accuracy stabilized. Then, when I switch test ammo I fire 10 or 20 rounds of the new ammo before I begin to seriously test for accuracy. And of course, I never clean the bore of a .22 LR unless I know there is foreign matter/debris in the bore. When I switched to Norma Sub Sonic Hunting ammuniton I'd have thought the ammo was junk if I'd based my evaluation off of the first group from the T1X. After about 15 rounds the groups suddenly pulled in and a hole at 50 yards for 10 shots became the norm. It shoots well enough that I used it to shoot 20 ga hulls off of our 200 yard backer. Always run a full box of the new ammo before you judge the ammunition or the rifle. If the first group sucks just stick at it and keep shooting.

Which reminds me ... Another thing about the T1X. They are not particularly ammo fussy if minute so rabbit is your goal. For target shooting, the better the ammo the better it shoots -but even then it's a matter of good accuracy or fantastic accuracy: Off the shelf Aguila Standard Velocity shoots under half inch at 50 yards. Federal Ultra Match shoots a hole when I do my part. Which ammo I choose depends on my need. ~Muir

hammer 1

I was curious, as to the obtrusive nature of the magazine, my t1x, is a 20 inch barrel, and I find that the balance point, while carrying, my hand is just in front of the magazine

Jdt

I was curious, as to the obtrusive nature of the magazine, my t1x, is a 20 inch barrel, and I find that the balance point, while carrying, my hand is just in front of the magazine
I don't find the magazine obtrusive at all,in fact it's no where near as obtrusive as some ten shot mags,I also use mine from a vehicle and have had no issues at all of the magazine catching on anything :)