Rabbit Sizes For Rangefinder

Wardy97

Hi All,

Wondering if you can help me... I have a rangefinder which works well when you have measurements of a quarry and as I am using this for Rabbit control (various sizes) with a NV scope it can be difficult to judge distance on a .22 Air Rifle - Wondering if anyone knew approximate dimensions of the below:

Small Rabbit Feeding Height Only
Small Rabbit Sitting Height Only
Small Rabbit Alert (head up) Height Only

Medium Rabbit Feeding Height Only
Medium Rabbit Sitting Height Only
Medium Rabbit Alert (head up) Height Only

Large Rabbit Feeding Height Only
Large Rabbit Sitting Height Only
Large Rabbit Alert (head up) Height Only

Alternatively, any Height for a small, medium and larger rabbit would be helpful as 9/10 times they’re feeding when I pop them 🎯

Don’t get me wrong, I can walk out approximate distances when setting up but I want to be a little more confident on my hold over/under during darkness (harder to distance) and having a 20x scope doesn’t make it very easy as everything looks huge! 😂

Thanks,
Wardy

Foxyboy43

Are you sure you didnt get conned into buying a theodolite?
Long time since I shot rabbits with a Webley (damned spell check keeps replacing Webley with Web key - I really must be old) Junior in .177. No rangefinders, lasers or even telescopic sights just simple “Kentucky Windage“ applied then and should be good now - aim for the head which if hit will kill it; if further than you think it will hit it in the neck and kill it; if even further than that it will hit it in the upper chest and kill it.
Or am I just yesterday’s news?
🦊🦊

Wardy97

What sort of range finder is that?
It’s a Stadiametric rangefinder - Eg, if a quarry is 10” High and you mark the Top and the Bottom of the quarry it will calculate approx how far away it is (will never be 100% as obviously rabbits vary in size, but you can usually tell if it’s small, medium or large if you watch it a little while)

Tazz

It’s a Stadiametric rangefinder - Eg, if a quarry is 10” High and you mark the Top and the Bottom of the quarry it will calculate approx how far away it is (will never be 100% as obviously rabbits vary in size, but you can usually tell if it’s small, medium or large if you watch it a little while)
I hope the rabbits are patient

Wardy97

Are you sure you didnt get conned into buying a theodolite?
Long time since I shot rabbits with a Webley (damned spell check keeps replacing Webley with Web key - I really must be old) Junior in .177. No rangefinders, lasers or even telescopic sights just simple “Kentucky Windage“ applied then and should be good now - aim for the head which if hit will kill it; if further than you think it will hit it in the neck and kill it; if even further than that it will hit it in the upper chest and kill it.
Or am I just yesterday’s news?
🦊🦊
No... Not a theodolite 😂 It’s a built-in rangefinder on my scope - It’s got all the bells and whistles and years ahead of my very first BSA meteor!

Agreed shooting can get unnecessarily complex nowadays, however I want to be more confident that I can drop them on the spot instead of them suffering when they don’t need to (and improve my accuracy as a hunter)

Wardy97

This sort of system is used on some Pulsar night vision units and to be honest, I never found it to be that accurate, with too many variables.
With a 22 rimfire or air rifle you really do have to be very accurate on ranging. The best advice, get a laser rangefinder.
I did take a look at some add on ones but it’s just extra weight and yet another thing to carry about & forget to charge - Although, I think if this type of range finding doesn’t work I will probably opt for a separate unit, they’re only about £150 but didn’t want to waste the money on it then not use it 😂 I thought about a thermal spotter as an alternative but I would need one with a good accurate rangefinder, but most of the budget ones on the market have the exact same rangefinder capabilities already built-into my scope 😂

Wardy97

I hope the rabbits are patient
😂 My plan is to take 3 readings of small, medium and larger rabbits and identify them best I can in the scope and it’s 2 simple clicks of a button based on the approximate height. I don’t need it to be 100% accurate, just within 5-10 Yards as I have been in a situation in the pitch black with no markers/time in light to range and shooting something 85 Yards away thinking it’s much closer... That said, I’ll probably opt for the laser rangefinder attachment if my plan fails to work 😂

J.kerslake

I did take a look at some add on ones but it’s just extra weight and yet another thing to carry about & forget to charge - Although, I think if this type of range finding doesn’t work I will probably opt for a separate unit, they’re only about £150 but didn’t want to waste the money on it then not use it 😂 I thought about a thermal spotter as an alternative but I would need one with a good accurate rangefinder, but most of the budget ones on the market have the exact same rangefinder capabilities already built-into my scope 😂
Get one that attaches to the side of the scope, don’t need to remember to pick it up or charge it!

uptonogood

Mate ,no disrespect to you or quarry but your taking it too serious .
Yes we are all into humane shots but practice at ranges will tell you all you need to know for live quarry .

steve sxs

Mate ,no disrespect to you or quarry but your taking it too serious .
Yes we are all into humane shots but practice at ranges will tell you all you need to know for live quarry .
I have to agree, and don't understand why it tuck so long for someone to say, (maybe just politeness) Range finders, how did we manage without them, Imho they're a bit like tire tables :old:

Wardy97

I have tested the theory and even with the exact measurements the Stadiametric rangefinder isn’t brilliant I must admit.

Testing using something I have the exact measurements of in comparison with a laser rangefinder paired to my scope worked out anywhere from 2 Yards -> 5 Yards difference (this was only at the small ranges I was testing with - up to 25 Yards).

I did some adjustments and the further away it was I had to over egg the items size a bit here and there to get anywhere close to what the distance actually was... @ 20 Yards I had to aim about an inch or two above and below the target.

I haven’t actually tested it on quarry yet but I will give it a go anyway and perhaps try giving it a little more top and bottom to see if it does work as a guide.

If it does indeed work (within a little) then I will not need to get a spotter with built-in rangefinder as the cheaper thermal spotters only have the same Stadiametric rangefinder that I already have pre-built into my scope.

I will update when I can. In the meantime I’ll probably be looking for a laser rangefinder at the right price 😂

StephenToast

Have you thought about a laser like this mounted on your scope?

less than a tenner

Set up so that it matches your scope zero. If the dot is above or below your crosshair when shooting it will tell you if the rabbit is closer or further than your zero point and you can adjust accordingly.