Rabbits intestines moving - worms?

Woodsy

After paunching a rabbit last night I noticed the intestines were moving/writhing. This continued for a long while after paunching the rabbit. I can only assume worms in the intestines must be the cause but would like to have that confirmed or denied by anyone who knows for sure. Does anyone know the reason for this? Or seen it themselves? I’ve got video footage on phone but can’t seem to upload it here. If anyone knows how to upload video please let me know. Thanks.

Woodsy

Thanks folks. Learned something new today! I’m amazed such a lot of movement can continue so long after death. It continued for at least four minutes strongly while I watched and filmed it, then it started to rain and I left. I wonder how long it carried on for?

Thinking about it, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this movement before, paunching rabbits in the dark with a head torch, but had always assumed it was just a play of the torch light on the shiny entrails rather than actual movement. Last night is the first time in many years I’ve ever really watched closely. Was very strange!

Shabz

When I was a kid, we used to go and shoot a rabbit with an air rifle after the pub to fry up for a kebab. I remember watching bits of meat twitching still on the counter top. You don’t get any fresher!

Olaf

I did once dispatch a rabbit at 100 yds with a 243. It’s heart was still beating when I got up to it, it’s heart was not actually connected to the animal at all but still ticking.
I believe that snakes heads can still bite you even after being separated from the body of the snake, I saw some survivalist explaining it and he recommended burying it away from the camp to prevent an accidental bite!
re the op , the intestines continuing to move , that’s totally normal and it’s not Worms. I’ve noticed it in Muntjac intestines too, less so with fallow deer though. Not surprising though as I’ve seen a muntjac run over 100 m from the shot site into some brambles despite having left it’s heart and lungs at the shot site.
Kindest regards, Olaf

User00025

Having put down horses in kennels butchering them and hanging the pieces up. I have gone to cut some off a joint and on applying the knife the meat jumped. This would be hours later.