Rare outing reaps rewards with a double!

Due to various things going on in my hectic life these days, mainly revolving around my kids, I haven't had the pleasure of much stalking but managed to get out Tues night for a couple of hours!

I've written about this little pocket of land before which I am fortunate to be able to stalk with no pressure at my leisure and be selective in what I shoot, except for the Muntjac which I'm to shoot on sight!! I haven't been there for a few months and was pleasantly surprised to see how it has regenerated after I've taken quite a few deer off the land as it never looked as healthy as it does now! It has become quite a challenge as you can see from the pics below and in parts resembles the great plains across the Masai Mara!! :lol:

uSmMwHR.jpg

W2yn9xK.jpg

Due to the dry weather of late it is nigh on impossible to stalk some of the land without making loads of noise, so I decided to set up and on the sticks and try calling to see if I got an early reaction from any Roe bucks or possibly an inquisitive Muntjac. It also gave me a chance to cool down in the evening summer heat, as the Rovince gear is great for ticks but does get a little warm!!

PoUBYKl.jpg

After about half an hour with no sign I moved on to an area which has less grass keeping tight to a tree line and spotted a Muntjac buck meandering it's way directly towards me. I could clearly see it was in velvet and that it would turn into a decent head but as it was on the hitlist it had to be shot. I set up on the quad sticks, waited until it turned broadside and gave a little shout to stop it before going back into the hedge and he dropped on the spot. It's been a while since I shot anything and I was surprised at how much the adrenaline got pumping seeing as I've shot dozens of deer now and I was notably shaking after taking the shot!!

He was a big boy with a few war wounds in great condition!

zM5IMdT.jpg

seUvxqX.jpg

It was still early as I'd shot the buck at 19.30. After the gralloch and inspection I placed him in my Roe sack, contemplated calling it a night and having a nice cold beer, or mooching around the rest of the land where I usually see something as it's not as overgrown.
Well the decision was made easy as I spotted movement at the bottom of a bank in some brambles about 80 yards away, directly up wind. I had to get my bins down from the tree branch where I hung them to confirm that it was a Muntjac Doe, reload the rifle and get myself up on the sticks as everything was set aside while I did the gralloch. After waiting a few seconds she wasn't moving very far as she was munching on the bramble leaves, so being on the quad sticks I was confident of taking a neck shot as her body was obscured. She also dropped on the spot and will be a nice change to have the whole carcass instead of the usual smashed shoulders!!

OZkL710.jpg

With 2 in the bag by 8.30pm, which is plenty to carry back to the truck when it's warm, I decided to call it a night and still managed a couple of cold ones when I got home!! It made a nice change to not be gralloching in the dark with a head torch and still packing things away at home gone 10 or 11 o'clock!! :D

Hopefully it'll not be as long before I'm out again but at least I have plenty of meat back in the freezer,

Cheers,

Stratts

Tim.243

Very nice.....I could see parts of my write up's in yours and your old mod on my .270 lol

Tim.243

tarponhead

Excellent write up. That's some exit wound - what was the bullet? SST? Are you sure there are no wildebeest out there?.

stratts

Excellent write up. That's some exit wound - what was the bullet? SST? Are you sure there are no wildebeest out there?.

.308 165gr soft-points bud and some people moan about the lack of expansion with PPU ammo!! Never had an issue myself! Used to use .243 on muntjac but I get far less meat damage with the big slow .308 so use it for everything now, especially as I have Sika, Roe and Muntjac all on the same ground!!