Sold: Ray Mears Alan Wood Woodlore Knife.

Storkie

This was made in December 2010, it has never been used or sharpened since it left Alan Wood. I think the handle is Maple, it has both neck & belt sheath along with the flint stick that all came with the knife. The flint stick has a few scrapes on it but is the original. Comes with what you see in the pictures.

I paid a lot of money for this and could never bring myself, or had any need to use it. Looking to buy other kit so here it is.

I’ve been offered £1100 from a dealer and turned that down as I paid more. I can only find one for sale at the moment which is on the Dartmoor Knife website for £1497. That only has one sheath and needs importing from Canada.
£1250.00 inc. delivery

Please PM of your interested in buying. I am happy to post Insured Special delivery or it can be collected from Essex.

Attachments

• DF9506B9-1918-49D2-B251-842DCC3928C4.jpeg
    DF9506B9-1918-49D2-B251-842DCC3928C4.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 421
  • 2B528D2E-FB4D-475E-B9FF-DE06A91D7478.jpeg
    2B528D2E-FB4D-475E-B9FF-DE06A91D7478.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 415
  • 0EDB65DD-1F98-4F3A-B84F-72FF9B689452.jpeg
    0EDB65DD-1F98-4F3A-B84F-72FF9B689452.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 382
  • 2B13AC92-BD90-423A-8B39-60252CD69A31.jpeg
    2B13AC92-BD90-423A-8B39-60252CD69A31.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 373
  • F7F8D027-986D-4D6C-B2F5-B181F76CBA9B.jpeg
    F7F8D027-986D-4D6C-B2F5-B181F76CBA9B.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:

boltgun

belongs in a collection imo, very lovely, have three of his two bought to use one to look at! but that was 1998! how things have changed.😋

FoxAndDeer

It's a lovely looking knife, but could someone educate me why this particular knife is clearly more than 'just a knife', with a price to match? Genuinely curious!

Have a bump on me in the process! 😀

Triggermortis

I think it’s the link to Ray Mears, and the fact that Alan no longer makes this model of knife,I have a number of Alan’s knives and they are something to behold !

Storkie

Thanks, I’m told there was a 10 year waiting list for these before they closed the order books, with so many people wanting them some were willing to pay a premium. Once one sold for silly amounts others decided to sell too I suppose. I really wanted one and planned to use it but never did now I’d just like to recoup my money! Full stalking kit not cheap either 😂👍🏻👍🏻

willie_gunn

It's a lovely looking knife, but could someone educate me why this particular knife is clearly more than 'just a knife', with a price to match? Genuinely curious!

Have a bump on me in the process! 😀

The Ray Mears/Woodlore knife is something of an icon, and is frequently cited as the pinnacle of UK bushcraft knives.

For serious knife collectors it is all about scarcity, condition and provenance.

Just as with old watches, most knife collectors will be looking for an original version, as unused/lightly used as possible, with full box and papers. This one seems to tick all the boxes.

It's akin to owning an early Rolex Submariner. Sure you can buy a new Submariner with all the modern trappings, but there will never be any more originals made.

By and large these knives will be collected, admired, but not used.

deerstalker.308

The Ray Mears/Woodlore knife is something of an icon, and is frequently cited as the pinnacle of UK bushcraft knives.

For serious knife collectors it is all about scarcity, condition and provenance.

Just as with old watches, most knife collectors will be looking for an original version, as unused/lightly used as possible, with full box and papers. This one seems to tick all the boxes.

It's akin to owning an early Rolex Submariner. Sure you can buy a new Submariner with all the modern trappings, but there will never be any more originals made.

By and large these knives will be collected, admired, but not used.
Yup. Just like the value of a Comex branded sub compared to a new one….. eye watering amounts!

Triggermortis

“By and large these knives will be collected, admired, but not used.”

This is sadly true, but what they won’t be is any sharper than any other of Alan’s knives, and remember the reason the knife was made was to cut things with

willie_gunn

“By and large these knives will be collected, admired, but not used.”

This is sadly true, but what they won’t be is any sharper than any other of Alan’s knives, and remember the reason the knife was made was to cut things with
There are drawer queens or cabinet queens in many areas of collectables - cars, knives, watches, guns, stamps, toy cars, clothes, etc.

By and large those are the ones people see on The Antiques Roadshow and think “If only I’d put mine away rather than wrecking it”.