rcbs dies

nuttyspaniel

Now heres 1 for you all.... I have been given a set of rcbs dies for my 308. Now following the intructions I ran 100 once fired sako cases through the f/l sizer. Now I did this before I had my rifle. Now on getting the rifle Ive tried the brass and f me it wont fit. My mate has been over for cuppa and he brought some f/l sized for his rifle and they were spot on. Now that brass has been fired in his rifle and worked back 2 thou. What do you think the problem is??

Nutty

paul o'

+1 also check you have ajusted down the die as per as this sounds like head space thay may need a bump down

Dawnraider

Might sound very obvious but as you were given the die I take it you've checked it's stamped .308 win.

phaedra

Tight chamber.

I have a 308 Howa 1500 with the same problem, it's right on the edge of spec but still passes Go/NoGo gauges OK. I tried RCBS, Hornady and Lee dies, all the full length sized cases would drop into my Steyr but were too big for the Howa.

Ended up getting my RFD to mill a few thou" off the bottom of the die, enough to allow an extra turn. Screwing the die down an extra 1/4 turn to bump the shoulders back did the job. Also bought an RCBS Small Base 308 die and those sized cases fit OK as well.

nuttyspaniel

Tight chamber.

I have a 308 Howa 1500 with the same problem, it's right on the edge of spec but still passes Go/NoGo gauges OK. I tried RCBS, Hornady and Lee dies, all the full length sized cases would drop into my Steyr but were too big for the Howa.

Ended up getting my RFD to mill a few thou" off the bottom of the die, enough to allow an extra turn. Screwing the die down an extra 1/4 turn to bump the shoulders back did the job. Also bought an RCBS Small Base 308 die and those sized cases fit OK as well.

The answer i was looking for. It turns out that Im using a lee shell holder which is .02" deeper than a rcbs shell holder. Its stopping the case fully entering the die and sizing properly. My mate told me that he had to really screw down the die and also has the same problem with his 22.250. And he uses a lee holder aswell...

Nutty

Last edited:

nuttyspaniel

My mate measured his lee and rcbs holders and there was .03" difference!!! There should be .02" difference.

Nutty

Muir

You may be right but last time I paid attention to such things, shell holders weren't 'standardized' but rather mated to the die set they were intended to be used with. Like I said, I have RCBS shell holders that are very different tho they are supposed to be identical. That said, I had a Lee Auto Prime shell holder that I tossed out because it was a ridiculously tight fit on new 30-06 cases. Fired cases were impossible to get into the thing. Quality these days is always suspect.~Muir

phaedra

Trimming the die was the better option as the die body could be centered in the lathe keeping the die face perfectly square rather then rubbing off bits of the shell holder by hand.

nuttyspaniel

You may be right but last time I paid attention to such things, shell holders weren't 'standardized' but rather mated to the die set they were intended to be used with. Like I said, I have RCBS shell holders that are very different tho they are supposed to be identical. That said, I had a Lee Auto Prime shell holder that I tossed out because it was a ridiculously tight fit on new 30-06 cases. Fired cases were impossible to get into the thing. Quality these days is always suspect.~Muir

I had to look and pay attention as the brass didnt fit!!!! And part of the reasin for this thread is to highlight to others that matching dies to shell holder is certainly worth bothering about. I knew the problem before I started this thread. I was curious as to how quick the answer would be posted. Mike from Brock and Norris had offered to skim a holder down for me on Thursday. All my brass is fully usuable now Ive screwed the die in futher but a tad too much for my liking. Ill be getting an rcbs shell holder for future f/l sizing.

Nutty

Muir

I had to look and pay attention as the brass didnt fit!!!! And part of the reasin for this thread is to highlight to others that matching dies to shell holder is certainly worth bothering about. I knew the problem before I started this thread. I was curious as to how quick the answer would be posted. Mike from Brock and Norris had offered to skim a holder down for me on Thursday. All my brass is fully usuable now Ive screwed the die in futher but a tad too much for my liking. Ill be getting an rcbs shell holder for future f/l sizing.

Nutty

No. You misunderstood my meaning. I used to fixate on things like standardization; hence my reference to "the last time I paid attention to such things". I didn't meant it wasn't important.
I do pay attention to how shell holders match to dies and your thread highlights exactly that.~Muir

Muir

Trimming the die was the better option as the die body could be centered in the lathe keeping the die face perfectly square rather then rubbing off bits of the shell holder by hand.

A shell holder fits in a lathe, too! ;) Been there, done that.~Muir

j0e_bl0ggs

Machining the shell holder would be the preferred method at the end of the day, no problems in holding them.

UK Outfitters