RCBS Seating Die ?

Ratc

Anyone know off the top of their heads what size the allen key is on the locking ring of an RCBS seating die?

I've tried everyone I've got and can't seem to get a good fit ....................Most odd !

Thanks in advance.

enfieldspares

Yes. They are IMPERIAL not Metric.

Any standard Imperial Allen key set if they go down small enough will sort it for you.

I keep hearing 5/64ths or 3/32nds in my head...but they may be false echoes.

No Metric key will ever fit.

Last edited:

J o h n

I think they are 3/32 (2.38mm), I had rcbs dies and had the same problem, i started using locking rings from different dies.

Sandyb

Probably a bit late to the party... I bought a set of 5 Irwin imperial Allen keys for mine as I've a few RCBS sets. Bought them off the bay, and will post the sizes later today.

Sandyb

The correct hex size is 3/32". As stated above I bought a set of 5 reasonably cheap. Irwin part no. 10584.

I also contacted RCBS in America who also sent me free replacement grub screws, but also some really small punched brass spacers to put between the grub screw and die body. These stop the thread cutting into the grub screw as you try to rotate it potentially resulting in stripping the hex.

Hope this helps.

Ratc

Sandyb, thanks for that, all sorted with the 3/32 Allen key. I was going to use the small lead split shot fishing weight to do the same trick as the brass spacer!

Sandyb

Sandyb, thanks for that, all sorted with the 3/32 Allen key. I was going to use the small lead split shot fishing weight to do the same trick as the brass spacer!
No worries, glad to help.

Drop them a line anyway, costs nothing and they're made for the job.... have quite a few dies for numerous calibres.

JMS906

The correct hex size is 3/32". As stated above I bought a set of 5 reasonably cheap. Irwin part no. 10584.

I also contacted RCBS in America who also sent me free replacement grub screws, but also some really small punched brass spacers to put between the grub screw and die body. These stop the thread cutting into the grub screw as you try to rotate it potentially resulting in stripping the hex.
Hope this helps.
A piece of small lead shot works too. :)

-JMS