Re barrel

srvet

I have had both factory barrels and custom barrels. I have never had a factory barrel that would shoot as consistently as any of the rebarreled. The factory tubes would shoot good groups don’t get me wrong but they wouldn’t shoot small groups as consistently like the match grade tubes will. Horses for courses but if you want accuracy in my opinion you are better getting a rebarrel

NickJ

Factory rifle accuracy will, of course be fine for stalking ranges but the OP mentioned 'longer range work' - that is when custom work will make a more noticeable difference.

I know as, again I will be upsides about five of Ronin's builds with my factory Sako 85 next month and over 300 yards the difference is then visible. One day I will get Ronin to put a new barrel on mine!

Last edited:

Dogangun

I go to Dave Wilde, Valkyrie Rifles, aka Baldie. Top fella, no bull dung.
Some of the builds he, ronin and the others post on the UKV forum are outstanding

Last edited:

ChesterP

I have both factory and custom barrels. The best, most consistent shooting barrel I have which gives consistently tiny groups is my factory Tikka TAC A1 6.5 barrel. It won a comp last year shooting tiny groups. Nothing wrong with a decent factory barrel but you won't get a decent factory rifle (ie stock/trigger etc etc) for under £700 so if your rifle has a decent stock and a decent trigger, I'd have thought that a re-barrel was a no-brainer, especially as you can custom tailor it for chamber length, twist, barrel length and contour.

Last edited:

Fox Tales

From personal experience rebarreling a Howa 1500 can throw up a few problems, especially with a heavy barrel.
The tenon in the action is quite short and may struggle to support the weight adequately .
The scope rail may also be poorly aligned ( mine has 11thou of runout , I've been told there are a lot worse ) . It may be worth having this checked before you make your final decision.
To compensate for the above , I use Burris Sig rings with shims . A simple fix but worth knowing about, especially when you quickly run out of scope adjustment and are scratching your head .
I'm not trying to discourage , just inform .
I still have mine , trued action, timney ,Sassen barrel, black cerakote and bedded into a GRS stock it's my favourite rifle and still puts a smile on my face . The local Carrion Crows seem less enthusiastic.

Irish Bob

Any out of the box factory rifle with matched ammunition will outshoot the better than average shooter. Have a look what someone like Bradley Bourner can do with a factory rifle and you will see what I mean.

NigelM

I would much rather rebarrel with a quality barrel from a well respected rifle smith than buy a new factory. In fact I have, several times. A factory rifle is usually a bit of a gamble, you get good ones, bad ones and ones that are adequate. I have never had a anything other than an excellent custom barrel fitted.

jonpj

Is it necessary to do anything to a factory action to get the best out of a new “quality” barrel?

srvet

Is it necessary to do anything to a factory action to get the best out of a new “quality” barrel?
Sometimes but not always, as far as I am aware it depends how eccentric the action is. I'm sure someone better qualified than me will clarify this

ejg

My take is the barrel is the most important part of a rifle, that is where one should invest in quality. Match grade barrels just have a better track record when it comes to accuracy that is what they are made for. Priority is on accuracy not on cost saving. In my opinion the second most important thing is the stock and stock to action fit quality. In third place only the action.
edi

308tikka

dont put a match grade barrel on a junk action. You will be wasting money. A blueprinted remington will shoot 1000 all day long, but there is a reason long range shooters dont use more than a few custom action offerings -BAT/Barnard/RPA/Nesika etc. Then it becomes about twist for bullet selection in your chosen calibre/chambering. Almost all actions available are fine to 2-300 and 'normal' hunting ranges.

You could change calibre to 6.5creedmor and have a 1000yds gun as the offering is so flat shooting and accurate.

whitehackle

From personal experience rebarreling a Howa 1500 can throw up a few problems, especially with a heavy barrel.
The tenon in the action is quite short and may struggle to support the weight adequately .
The scope rail may also be poorly aligned ( mine has 11thou of runout , I've been told there are a lot worse ) . It may be worth having this checked before you make your final decision.
To compensate for the above , I use Burris Sig rings with shims . A simple fix but worth knowing about, especially when you quickly run out of scope adjustment and are scratching your head .
I'm not trying to discourage , just inform .
I still have mine , trued action, timney ,Sassen barrel, black cerakote and bedded into a GRS stock it's my favourite rifle and still puts a smile on my face . The local Carrion Crows seem less enthusiastic.
Brock and norris rebarrel and build alot of custom rifles with the howa 1500 action. He wouldn't use these actions if they were no good

Fox Tales

Brock and norris rebarrel and build alot of custom rifles with the howa 1500 action. He wouldn't use these actions if they were no good
My post was from personal experience , my point being a Howa action may be less than perfect . Mine , however , is still my go to rifle , regardless of its imperfections . I like to think of it as character.
I'm fairly sure Brock and Norris wouldn't allow a sub standard rifle with their name on it to be sold , simply not in their best interest .

brock and norris

Yes sir you are quite correct in that we use a lot of Howa actions for builds . It is a great robust action with a bomb proof bolt and a good trigger . A good place to start . I normally true all critical surfaces when re-barreling Howas or for that matter most rifles . it is the elimination of variables to leave only constants . barrel to action thread fits are held to exacting tolerances .and threaded between centers to ensure minimal scope run out on a trued action .

Ingy

+ 1 for Neil Mckillop, ive got a semi custom by Mr Norris and I have had a rebarrel by Mr Mckillop, though both were done very well, I would personally go with Neil for all my future gunsmithing needs, prices are very competitive and the work is second to none in my humble opinion.

+1 on Neil. Built me a custom recently after Mike Norris let me down and couldn’t be happier. Absolute tackdriver and a total pleasure to deal with.