Re barreling a parker hale

scoby270

Hi all,

I have my P/H up for sale on this site, question is if i wanted to re chamber to a smaller calibre does anyone have an idea of the smallest calibre i could downsize to, i know it is a bit of an odd question but my daughter will be hopefully getting her firearm cert early next year, so if it doesn't sell I might rechamber it for her to use.

Regards John

Sorry forgot to add it is currently a .270

The money involved is such that it would be infinately better to sell at more of a loss and to buy a used rifle. Rightly or wrongly, no matter what work is done the finished item will suffer from being a PH when it comes to selling.

If you were to rebarrel the smallest standard LA cartridge would be 25-06. You could go 243 but that would require a block in the magazine, new follower and possibly feed rail work.

Last edited:

Blitzking

Unless it has some sentimental value to you, scrap it and buy a new or second hand rifle in the calibre you want, it will be cheaper.

scoby270

Tks for the answers, no sentimental value just a thought as to doing something else with it really, will probably go down the purchase of a smaller calibre route, always interesting to know peoples thoughts though.

Regards John

Woodsmoke

finished item will suffer from being a PH when it comes to selling

I always thought Parker Hale were held in some regard? I've never owned one though. Is there some perception they're somehow worse than other rifles?

dodgyrog

I always thought Parker Hale were held in some regard? I've never owned one though. Is there some perception they're somehow worse than other rifles?
I have had two and both were excellent rifles.
People do not like them because they are old and out of fashion.
I really wouldn't bother rebarrelling it.
Get yourself an old BSA .222 in good fettle and it will last you a long time and shoot straight

Woodsmoke

People do not like them because they are old and out of fashion.

Sounds a bit like myself :lol:

I almost bought a CF2 in .270 a few years back. I really liked the look and feel of it, but ended up with an A-Bolt instead. I still love the look of the CF2

Edinburgh Rifles

if you like it dont be put off by other people's views on the rifle

your bilt face limits your options
smallest?

.22-250 has the same bolt face

you can get pre-chambered pre threaded M98 barrels from lothar walthar for around £350-400 depending on spec

screw it on in your shed
check with a GoNoGo gauge
proof if you want to (or if selling is an option)

enfieldspares

Can you not use the equivalent of Remington's "Managed Recoil"" light loads? The .270 WCF is bite but with bark only in full house factory loadings.

Load it down, if you reload, and it's a pussycat. I'm sure there are factory 100 grain bullets? Even factory 130 grain bullets loaded down to 2,600fps will be pleasant enough to shoot.

Biggest factor in feeling pain from recoil isn't the power of the cartridge it's poor stock fit. I've shot a Holland & Holland .470 double rifle with little more felt recoil than a 20 bore side by side.

And yet tried a Webley Patriot FAC rated .22 air rifle that felt like being punched in the face by Mike Tyson. Literally four shots from it was the most anyone that tried it could bear. Really painful on the cheek.

Last edited:

Woodsmoke

.270 WCF is bite but with bark only in full house factory loadings.

Load it down, if you reload, and it's a pussycat

Mine's loaded-down to about 2800fps with 130gr SP, and it's an absolute joy to shoot. Although, to tell the truth I never really had any issues with it with full-speed factory rounds either

scoby270

Hi, just to clarify it would be for my daughter to use not myself, personally i'm more than happy with it as a .270, don't think the recoil is at all bad, my daughter will be 14 early next year so was looking to do something with it for her, she likes the rifle and the way it looks and it fits her well, I like the idea of the 22 250 if someone could give me an idea of the recoil as I never tried 1, she regularly uses 24 gram carts through a Beretta Ultralight and has used a 223 without any issues. I won't be using it anymore due to shoulder issues ( they're knackered) hence the question.

Thanks for the replies.

VSS

Hi, just to clarify it would be for my daughter to use not myself, personally i'm more than happy with it as a .270, don't think the recoil is at all bad, my daughter will be 14 early next year so was looking to do something with it for her, she likes the rifle and the way it looks and it fits her well, I like the idea of the 22 250 if someone could give me an idea of the recoil as I never tried 1, she regularly uses 24 gram carts through a Beretta Ultralight and has used a 223 without any issues. I won't be using it anymore due to shoulder issues ( they're knackered) hence the question.

Thanks for the replies.

If she likes the rifle, and it fits her, and she wants it, let her have it.
If she can't manage it in the current calibre then having it rebarrelled specifically for her will make it all the more "hers".

(Incidentally, when it comes to applying for her FAC I should keep quite about her experience using a 223 if I were you. It is illegal for her to use a borrowed rifle under the age of 17 unless it took place at an approved range where she's a member.)

Last edited:

scoby270

Hi VSS,

It was in the States on my mates fathers ranch near Austin 2 years ago when she used 1, I think it was on a AR15 platform, thanks Woodsmoke if that's the case and it doesn't sell by the weekend i'll re chamber in 22 250 for her.

Thanks for all the replies to this.

VSS

Hi VSS,

It was in the States on my mates fathers ranch near Austin 2 years ago when she used 1, I think it was on a AR15 platform, thanks Woodsmoke if that's the case and it doesn't sell by the weekend i'll re chamber in 22 250 for her.

Thanks for all the replies to this.

:thumb:

When I was researching 270 on some American websites it was described as a "light recoiling calibre, suitable for ladies and young shooters", so don't discount it altogether! It seems to be only in the UK that 270 has a reputation for being a bit harsh.
Having just bought a P-H 270 (sorry, didn't see your ad!) I think that the stories about excessive recoil are vastly out of proportion.

User00003

A very sensible comment!

Some of the P/H models are a great platform to build a decent rifle.
Three live here,oops make that four! In various calibres and they are great Pommy built rifle imo.
nothing wrong with a PH! I’m a bit of a rifle snob but have had numerous PH’s and loved them. The best are the Santa Barbara actions.

i have to say though, I wouldn’t spend over £500 on a re-barrel, but that’s perfectly possible as long as you don’t need a perfect profile replica and are happy with button rifled.

if 22-250, you will want to put a rear mag block in to shorten the mag and pick up the cartridges further out, it’s easily done. Sadly I have binned many such blocks when converting from m98 22-250’s back to longer rounds, otherwise I could have posted you one. That said, I think, think, I may have passed on some of the shorter springs and followers to Edinburgh Rifles, so you may be in luck,,,and they may even offer to barrel it too,,you never know!!

AndrewS

Hi all,

I have my P/H up for sale on this site, question is if i wanted to re chamber to a smaller calibre does anyone have an idea of the smallest calibre i could downsize to, i know it is a bit of an odd question but my daughter will be hopefully getting her firearm cert early next year, so if it doesn't sell I might rechamber it for her to use.

Regards John

Sorry forgot to add it is currently a .270

Just had a look at your ad - you're giving it away! From the pictures it looks really nice - why don't you try down-loading, as others have suggested, and see how your daughter gets on with it? Also, see how well it fits her.

My first c/f rifle, years ago, was a .270 Steyr-Mannlicher Stutzen - that did kick a bit, but I've since tried a more conventional .270 and I don't think it deserves its reputation even with factory ammunition.

scoby270

Just had a look at your ad - you're giving it away! From the pictures it looks really nice - why don't you try down-loading, as others have suggested, and see how your daughter gets on with it? Also, see how well it fits her.

My first c/f rifle, years ago, was a .270 Steyr-Mannlicher Stutzen - that did kick a bit, but I've since tried a more conventional .270 and I don't think it deserves its reputation even with factory ammunition.

Totally agree about the recoil, as said it's all about the fit, i'm happy to go down the re barrel to 22 250 as ER suggested, my friend has offered to do some downloads to see if she is ok with them in .270, when her probation is over at the range she can try them out, if it did sell the cash will just go to a new rifle for her anyway.
Thanks again for all the suggestions folks, i'll let you know how it all goes.

Regards John