Re Chamber

Sako3006

Does any one know or rather can recommend a riflesmith that can do and is happy to re chamber a rifle from .308 to 30-06.
The action length is fine as it is a Heym SR21, so excellent quality. I have two choices I can either sell and buy another new SR21 or if it is a 'Do-able' modification as the rifle is in excellent/mint condition.
Any suggestions and help would be gratefully received.

Muir

A straight rechambering isn't possible unless you set the barrel back. The straighter taper of the 308 chamber will leave a bulge in the 30-06 chamber where the old 308 shoulder was.~Muir

Thar

Not too many smiths would want to “mess around” I guess, most would just want to re-barrel it, drop Jager S A off here a PM he might be willing to do the work.

ATB

Tahr

bobjs

I would also contact neil Mckillip, top man and if anyone can do it neil may well be your man, (don't hold me to that,,,,,,,,,,,ever)

regards

bob.

jay 22

alot of smiths these days dont want the bother of rechambering barrels it just dont pay.

Jager SA

.................most are frightened of f**king up their priceless reamers so dont take on the work!!

Ian.

Reamers are nothing but flashy drill bits, you break it, you buy another, who gives a f*ck. £100 on a reamer and you plenty of chambers out of one. Jesus, if I knew 10 year ago what I do now!

Whitebeard

Reamers are nothing but flashy drill bits, you break it, you buy another, who gives a f*ck. £100 on a reamer and you plenty of chambers out of one. Jesus, if I knew 10 year ago what I do now!

Absolutely James! its refreshimng to hear an opinion that regards these cutting tools as expendables just the same as drills, taps, dies and tips aswell as a long list of other tools and abrasives that most engineering firms budget for as expendable tooling.

Ian.

Muir

Absolutely James! its refreshimng to hear an opinion that regards these cutting tools as expendables just the same as drills, taps, dies and tips aswell as a long list of other tools and abrasives that most engineering firms budget for as expendable tooling.

Ian.

If a gunsmith knows what he is doing he will not "trash" a reamer rechambering a barrel. I have rechambered hundreds of barrels and not lost a single reamer. And yes, reamers are expendable. Nothing worse than a gunsmith trying to squeeze one last chamber out of a reamer that has been stoned almost out of tolerance before hand. A customer brought me a custom reamer in that state. It was a pain to use, and caused him nothing but grief with that minimally dimensioned chamber.~Muir

Whitebeard

So how do you dial the barrel in? True to bore or true to old chamber?

You should true it to the bore but if the bore and the chamber are not concentric the reamer will follow the old chamber and cut an excentric new chamber, if you are cutting a chamber larger then the current chamber thwn the chamber should be trued to the bore and the old chamber set back and bored true with a boring bore to ensure concentricity.
If any doubt chop off the old chamber and start from scratch.

Ian

Jager SA

Ian.

I've heard it so many times about how precious they are. Simple, order 2-3 at a time but no, the customer is charged for the reamer and he doesn't even own it. I don't charge anyone for a reamer, if I brake it that's my stupid fault, however you'd have to be pretty stupid to do so. And as for cutting speed PTG in particular recommend a faster speed than people actually run them at. They're not that delicate!

Jager SA

If a gunsmith knows what he is doing he will not "trash" a reamer rechambering a barrel. I have rechambered hundreds of barrels and not lost a single reamer. And yes, reamers are expendable. Nothing worse than a gunsmith trying to squeeze one last chamber out of a reamer that has been stoned almost out of tolerance before hand. A customer brought me a custom reamer in that state. It was a pain to use, and caused him nothing but grief with that minimally dimensioned chamber.~Muir

​Touché!

Jager SA

You should true it to the bore but if the bore and the chamber are not concentric the reamer will follow the old chamber and cut an excentric new chamber, if you are cutting a chamber larger then the current chamber thwn the chamber should be trued to the bore and the old chamber set back and bored true with a boring bore to ensure concentricity.
If any doubt chop off the old chamber and start from scratch.

Ian

​Thats a bit too technical...just fit a new tube! :D

Ronin

Distinguished Member
In the case of the OP, it would be preferable IMHO to chop the old tenon and start again; for the very reasons Muir states.

The 30-06 has a steeper taper than the 308, you cant just rebore (with a reamer) the 308 chamber.

You could possibly have 30-06 imp without starting again - measuring the shoulder point of a 308 case against a 30-06 imp case I have here shows the improved is .003" larger diameter at that point (side by side with the 308)

If it were a re-chamber, it would be preferable to dial in the bore with pin gauges and range rod, then measure the bore to see how far out of true it is.....

My guess it wouldnt be nearer than .030" ,,,,so again a start again job.

Simplest to chop tenon and start again.

Last edited:

Druid

:tiphat: ain't that the truth!

ps. As an aside, Do you rebarrel no4's in .303?

Last edited:

Sako3006

Thanks for the replies on this one, to be honest I did not think of the difference (other than length) of the .308 and .30-06.
I think to be honest it may pay me just to sell or p/x for a new Heym SR21. I know people will think me mad and say the .308 is as good etc, but I do love the .30-06 and wont be satisfied until i have one.