Recolouring antlers

Tamar

I left a Roe skull in the compost heap to clean it (and show my children the process of decomposition). It's done a great job, but the antlers themselves are almost bleached white. Any tips for restoring/replacing their colour? I recall reading about using shoe polish? It's no trophy, but it has an interesting deformation so would be fun to mount up.

ChrisWill184

I have tried strong tea, coffee, rubbing dirt and resin in it and wood stain. The wood stain flaked off, the dirt and resin was useless and the tea is just too weak. The best results I have seen has been from potassium permanganate. The crystals/tablets are purple but it stains a dark brown judging by the bathroom floor when the girlfriend used to use it as a skin treatment. Have not tried it myself though so can't comment on the application. Plenty on youtube though.

Tamar

That's great advice. Thanks. Seems fairly straigthforward, so I'll order some on ebay and see how it goes. :)

JockStalk

And remember to do this with skull antler points down or skull protected, unless you want a tanned look on the skull bones.....

Gloves also a good idea for same reason!