Recommend a lightweight factory 6.5x55 round you have used

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...

RickoShay

As it says on the tin.
Looking for a lightweight 6.5x55 round for Fox.
Currently using Federal 140gr Powershok.

Interested in both factory and reloads if you can help. Important you have actually used the ammunition, I too can search the net!
For a Sauer 202, moderated.

RickoShay

Will look into that, I was hoping there might be a slightly cheaper brand that is a bit lighter (say sub 110gr).

I. Farticus

I don't think you'll find a hunting round of less than 120gr. Lapua do a 100gr target round, and I think someone even goes as low as 93gr, but again statics only.

Nosler, Norma, Lapua & Hornady are probably the favoured manufacturers of 120gr. Don't think even PRVI do a hunting round less that 13xgr...

I have Nosler 120gr BTs and Hornady 140gr SSTs reloaded for me - yet to fire the 120s, but have day off to play with them in a couple of weeks to check accuracy out of my rifle.

Cheers
iain

ziggy

for the fox ill be trying 95 grain vmax but its hard to find any load data for it if I find any info out ill let you know

RickoShay

Thanks for the replies so far, am intrigued by the 95gr V-Max as sounds like a Fox round to me.

Likely to be reloading under the supervision of a very good friend who reloads many calibre's already.

Brithunter

Not sure if the still do it but Norma made a 77 grain Soft point in 6.5x55 as well as the jagdmatch FMJ in the same weight.

Edit:-

Whoops brain fart the bullet weight of course is 77 grains and not 55 :oops:............................ I blame "Old Timers disease "

Last edited:

charadam

I am having some success with the Sierra 85g Varminter loaded over Tubal 3000. Will report further after my next range session.

Mr. Gain

Not sure if the still do it but Norma made a 77 grain Soft point in 6.5x55 as well as the jagdmatch FMJ in the same weight."

No longer in their inventory, I believe.

I am having some success with the Sierra 85g Varminter loaded over Tubal 3000. Will report further after my next range session.

As well as the 85-grain Sierra HP, there's a 90-grain Speer TNT HP, a 95-grain Hornady V-Max, and a 100-grain Nosler BT, but the Sierra certainly looks like the place to start. I also look forward to hearing how you get on with this load.

Axe

+1 on the Norma 120gr BT in 6.5x55 I have had good success with these. Never really had a problem with anything Norma make to be fair. You pay for what you get i suppose

MauserM03

Exit wound on dog fox - Norma Nosler 120g BT.JPG Mr. Fox after 6.5x55mm Norma 120g BT. No disputing its effectiveness on Charlie. Pricey as a factory round but presumably you could load yourself for a fraction.

Attachments

• Nosler-BST_20176542.pdf
    85.8 KB · Views: 17

bigoak

IMG_1295_Large_.jpg Not a 6.6x55 but I have got a 260. Same dog different leg action really. Similar velocities anyway. For Fun, I got a box of 95 gn Vmaxs to run out of my 260 for use on foxes and wild dogs. I loaded up 10, checked how they shot and had 3 left to take out hunting with my normal 120 gn Taipan load.
Just lugged my own carcus up a steep hill and puffing and panting with the gun on my shoulder I spot a boar under a clump of lantana staring at me from 15 m. By the time I unsling my gun hes gone so I go straight through the hole in the Lantana and there is a sow and a group of suckers all hightailing.
I shot the sow in the shoulder with the Vmax, put her straight down and then legged it after the suckers, but I was too slow.
We took some meat of the sow. I was amazed how well this little Vmax worked. I wouldnt advocate it for use on hogs, but on this occasion it worked.
I pulled of a couple of long range shots on Varmints with the 2 remaining pills. Absolute dynamite.
Very accurate in my 260 as well.

Last edited:

Jonher

I'm getting great accuracy from the 85grain Sierra Varmint, loaded it to 1000m/s in my Tikka T3 Varmint and it's shooting 1/2 inch at 100 meters when I do my part.

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...