Recommend me a decent draw scope that is cheap

dlz90

Ok maybe a lot to ask I know little about them but feel a yearning for something that will offer decent optical performance and the magnifaction to id at longer range your thoughts.

dlz90

Yes the use of the word cheap most certainly is subjective so in my case it's around £200 or less I don't mind a good used optic and feel this is where I would like to go as I said they are something I have little experience of but have an interest in learning a little more about.

monarman

Ayup bud!!!!!

Optolyth draw scopes are super for the money....... have a look on ebay right now there are a couple on there.
I use one (again.....I had one ages ago but sold it..... bad move back then lol) not too heavy and give a good clear view.... no different to a swarovski (used one so I can compare) .

Mine lives in the truck so when I spot something I want to take a closer look at I pop my wheat filled sock on the window and get the optolyth on it!.... helped me spot some nice bucks on my ground and a few does with twins...

Freeforester

If you get one, get me three, I'm sure others will want this! You tend to get what you pay for, and I feel you may find the adjective 'decent' could also prove to be a bit subjective within your budget constraint, but you never know, you may be lucky indeed.

Truth be told, apart from Grays of Inverness I don't think anyone is making these any more, much less at the sum mentioned, but if you are flexible you might settle for a fixed length (short) Russian monocular or similar, but not ideal (too short to be rested in the traditional style) albeit much less than the cost of a remotely useful example of the real deal, unless I'm much, much mistaken. I've got one over a hundred years old now, and wouldn't part with it for a grand; but from time to time someone is getting rid of a Hertel & Reuss, Nickel, Optolyth or some such for " reasonable" money.

Good hunting!

Redneck

I have a Russian ex millitary draw scope bought from the evil bay couple of years back. It was brand new in the tube. Not equivalent of a Grays of course but it was only £60.00 at the time.

Cant remember the maker just now but I will check after the game ( I like football) and post the name.

Cheers

Uncle Norm

I have owned a 1960s manufactured Hertel and Reuss 25-60x60 three draw scope for several years. They go quite cheaply and are very good optics for the money that they go for.
Being German, they are well made and robust too. Mine is in excellent condition. This telescope in good up to about 40x mag, but the 60x is a non-starter owing to shake.
I use mine for spotting Roe on hedgerows at long range.

I don't mind leaving it in my truck as its a whole lot of difference getting £100-£150 worth nicked than to something costing £2K or more.

Well worth considering if you can find one in good condition. I got mine from Ace Optics.

lochty

I'd go for an Optolyth or Opticron. There are some ex military ones out there but the joints in them will more than likely be knackered. Like Freeforester, I have a Ross approaching 100 years old, but I'm not parting with it.
ATB Dave

dlz90

Thanks for the replys lads and all recommendations its gives me an idea of what to look for I probably have no need but heck just want one anyway...:)

sauer

Optolth mini !

look eBay or contact likes of a Cley Spy as they have a 2nd hand selection of stuff and not all listed on their website ... looking at £120- £300 ish 2nd hand but some cracking condition scopes of you look for them

Paul

dlz90

Thanks for the replies fellas keep them coming, been looking at a couple of JH Stewart marksman any idea on these ? ones a three draw the other a quick focus.

Damian.

caorach

One thing I will say is that if you want to use the scope in the field then a longer telescope is easier to rest than a short one as you can lie down and prop it on your knee or similar making it very steady for spying. You can't hold something with a high mag without having some way of supporting it.

I have the 30X80 Optolyth and it is just long enough to do this with, it is a 3 draw but a short 3 draw, but I'd expect that the 2 draw Optolyths would be too short. The Nickel or Hertel and Reuss are both well worth a look as they offer reasonable optics in a good package and they certainly used to come up quite frequently around the £100 mark. You do occasionally see people looking big cash for them but I can't see how the market supports that as no matter the cosmetic condition they are all likely to have sucked in some dirt and have fungus and/or prism problems so unless they've actually been serviced and rebuilt or are in a really bad state they are probably all much of a muchness as they saying goes.

The problem with all of these older scopes is that they will need a little bit of work and there was a chap in Glasgow who could do everything necessary but unfortunately he died a few years back. I believe there is still someone about who will look at them but can't remember the name now, perhaps others will, but having someone who can get spares and do the work is key with older scopes in terms of keeping them running. Getting work done to them was not expensive in the past so you could spend £100 on something like a Nickel and have a decent spotting scope for not much cash after a good clean etc.

dlz90

Cheers for that Caorach

I just have a yearning more than a need but I really like the older stuff I like most on here use binoculars for my hunting and currently use a Zeiss victory 8x42 HT for most everything.

I have been looking at a couple in perfect condition within my budget a Broadhurst Clarkson 4 draw 25//40X and a Stewart Marksman 25x 3 draw I know they are not top performers compared to modern coated lens there is just something so appealing about them.

Dougie from Glasgow binocular repair and as you mention alas no longer with us I had the pleasure of talking to him on more than one occasion the last job he did for me was on my Zeiss bgat 7x42 binoculars they needed new ocular lens and service he did a top job indeed those old bgats are good as new and performance wise not much behind my HTs he will be sadly missed.

Damian.