Recommend me a Lee 6 bullet mold ~

David Nimrod

I'm looking at the Lee 6 bullet mold for .38/.357...

It'll be for a Winchester 94AE under-lever, used for 25yrds to 100yrds gallery target shooting.

shooternz

If you have to have a Lee mould go for the 158 grain Round nose they feed better than the SWC style bullets get one that takes a gas check if planning on shooting over 1400fps

Muir

It's not the 358-156. This is my favorite design and it's a gas check with double crimp grooves. That's a good price on that mold...~Muir

enfieldspares

As ever you're right Muir. It is 358446 not the number in my earlier post.

But which, in my defence, is pretty much that "other" mould without the gas check feature.

But thank you for the input and I've looked at the mould blocks and 358446 indeed it is.

Muir

As ever you're right Muir. It is 358446 not the number in my earlier post.

But which, in my defence, is pretty much that "other" mould without the gas check feature.

But thank you for the input and I've looked at the mould blocks and 358446 indeed it is.
I just got excited when I saw the 358-156 and had to comment -didn't mean to hold your feet to a fire. I think that the -156 GC is the finest 38/357 mold every made. It has two crimp grooves 1/10" apart. You can seat it to the top groove in 357 and 38 Special cases, or, set to the bottom groove in 38 Special cases using light to mid-range 357 load data. (I like 12 grains of Alliant 2400) Seating to the bottom groove adds 1/10" space to the powder supply area making this a safe practice. Oddly, this long seated 357 loading in a 38 Special case is more accurate than the same load in a 357 case, seated to the top crimp groove and having the same OAL. I've seen it time and time again. This was made popular by a New Mexico sheriff names Skeeter Skelton who eventually wrote for (US) Shooting Times Magazine. I ran into him once at a motel in Artesia, NM and we talked about this bullet and load. He also found it to be more accurate than the same load/bullet in the 357 casing.

Anyhow, sorry for the side track. :oops:~Muir

Muir

Yeah. It was 33 (?) years ago on a veranda by a motel pool. I had my oldest daughter on my knee as we talked. She was 2 years old at the time. Intersting guy, and a very practical shooter. Had a couple of colorful comments about Elmer Keith!~Muir

enfieldspares

Good God, Muir, certainly no offence taken at all. I'm sorry if my response suggested such.

Your input is always valued. My other .38/.357 mould (that I'll keep and isn't for sale) is 358477.

FWIW I had an old single cavity 358429 too.

And could get a true 1,000 fps from my 5" pre- Model 27 using 2400 in a .38 Special case.

The "dream", never realised, was to have a 35893 or in .44 Magum a 429303 to play with!

The other mould I never saw here was 357443 which looked like a copy of a factory Winchester .38 Special bullet in my eyes.

All these lovely old Lyman moulds.

Muir thanks. Your much appreciated feedback even made me unearth my 1970 Shooter's Bible!

Last edited: