Recommend me a paraffin pressure lamp?

Farmer Geddon

Anyone got any suggestions, for power cuts & reading in those long winter nights. I have a number of hurricane lamps (Fauerhand) which are fabulous, but need a good pressure lamp for reading. Had one of those chinese Anchor lamps but never trusted it. There were several makes of uk lamps tilley & swedish ones were good but I can't remember their names. Brass would be nice. As an aside I have a lovely Old Rochester, table lamp circa 1870, still works like a charm, its got a circular wick & non pressure. You can't beat paraffin, it gives off a lovely warm light, & acts as a room heater as well.
IMG_1287.jpg

Yorric

Aladin work very well, just don't leave unattended when turned up to maximum. They aren't a pressure lamp but run quietly,
Tilley pressure lamps are good and quite safe when kept well serviced. They are noisy. These run best with good new elements an at high pressure, ventilation is important as they produce fumes.
Ian

Last edited:

Farmer Geddon

Any Tilley laterns are really good. Also the Colemans petrol lanterns also work well, but are not as well made and as repairable as Tilley lanterns.

petromax are another good make.

This website is a mine of information.

I have a Taylors Paraffin stove on our boat. It is a bit of a love hate relationship.
Cheers for that, a good site will ring them on monday, I think Primus, Petromax & Vaporlux are Swedish, the swedes don't make bad stuff, Tilley is good also British. Just had a look at the prices they aint cheap, most production finished in the 50's but they're still working after 60 years, I kinda like tinkering with stuff like that, a bit like normally aspirated diesel engines, .its beautifully made & I'm so tired of buying new stuff that ends up in a landfill site fairly quickly. Spares are available too. Powercuts out here are a frequent event in winter, single phase & at the end of a long spur. Most of the farmhouse barns & stables still have the hooks on the walls. Jeez, sometimes I feel like Jack Nicholson in the Shining.

Bavarianbrit

Not paraffin but a Coleman x2 mantle lamp is a good alternative with easily available fuel. I have one along with a two burner stove so I only need one fuel can to cover all my needs.

Took one with me to the USA on a hunting trip and the Atlanta airport jerks confiscated it on checking in for the return flight claiming it would have petrol/gas fumes and endanger the plane, I had filled it with water for a week before returning to lose the fumes but that was not acceptable to the highly educated person of c::::r dealing with me.

Hornet 6

Took one with me to the USA on a hunting trip and the Atlanta airport jerks confiscated it on checking in for the return flight claiming it would have petrol/gas fumes and endanger the plane, I had filled it with water for a week before returning to lose the fumes but that was not acceptable to the highly educated person of c::::r dealing with me.
Just what did you expect to happen.

Neil.

Stalker-of-the-deer

Coleman northstar.

Pick them up second hand for about 60 quid and kick out more light that the sun. Only issue is they take a specific type of mantel can buy loads of them on the Internet but most camping stores don't stock them.

Can run them on petrol on white gas. For the environmental conscious aspen fuel

Dalua

I know it's a stove, but it might be worth asking if they make a lamp as well?

Attachments

• Alsbald-stove-1.jpg
    Alsbald-stove-1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Alsbald-stove-2a.jpg
    Alsbald-stove-2a.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Alsbald-stove-4.jpg
    Alsbald-stove-4.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 5

Farmer Geddon

Wow, just been tracking one on eBay, an Optimus 930, hardly any use original box tools & pamphlet, it went for over £300, probably made in the 1970's for maybe 60-80 quid, goes to show how well regarded these things are. Thanks to all for your input.