Recommendations for economical hard rifle cases

dec90

I've had a look on the internet and there seem to be tons of "Cheap" hard rifle cases. Without handling these Its a bit hard to tell the difference between stuff that will serve my purpose, and stuff that is just plain rubbish and will break quickly.

I've had a look on here for recommendations in previous threads, and pelican cases seem to be what everyone recommends. I'm not going to be transporting my rifle on planes/trains so probably don't need it to be quite that rugged, but still would like a medium level of protection / quality.

The case is mostly going to be used for transporting my 22lr(Anschutz 1416 with a 14 inch barrel) + all associated mags, ammunition, moderator, and other bits. I want to be able to throw it in the boot of the car without worrying too much about what gets put on top or if it slides around.

The rifles only worth about £500 so spending £400 on a pelicase just doesn't seem like a good use of funds, so i'm looking for a cheaper option. The rifles about 40inchs long with the mod on, and about 35 with it off.. so somewhere in the 35inch x 10 inch size would be ideal.

I've seen some on amazon with mixed reviews but just wondered what everyone on here is using if you aren't using a Pelican case. Feel free to shout out cases you don't recommend as well as ones you do recommend.

Thanks
Dec90

I don't care what the value of my firearms are, but I do take care of them, substandard protection is not an option for me.
Same here, that's why I'm asking for recommendations for hard cases that fit my needs. I don't quite need the levels of protection offered by a Pelican case. So if there is an alternative I'm interested in hearing about that. If it turns out there is no alternative, maybe I'll have to go for a pelican case.

Ive never found anything that betters a peli case for transporting anything that may get thrown around in transport (cameras, rifles etc) but sounds like you may be better off looking at one of Ogdens rifle slips, really good protection, very well made and superb company to deal with. In your budget range too.

Well you won’t beat a Peli Case. Use them for work and their indestructible, that said you said their not in your budget so at the £150 mark have a look on Uttings they have them at different price ranges here’s one in that range, disclaimer I haven’t got one so can’t say if shat or good but it’s somewhere to start looking .

Here’s another ( out of stock ) Peli clone type affair, also have a look on FleaBay you might pick up a used Peli at a reasonable price if you haggle….

Same here, that's why I'm asking for recommendations for hard cases that fit my needs. I don't quite need the levels of protection offered by a Pelican case. So if there is an alternative I'm interested in hearing about that. If it turns out there is no alternative, maybe I'll have to go for a pelican case.
Look for a second hand Peli in classifieds, they come up regularly.

I bought a Nuprol one a couple of years back. It’s pretty good. The foam is a bit soft but can be replaced if needed.

I’d say what you need depends on what the case is for. The most mine gets subject to is being buried in the boot of the car, which means they need to be strong enough not to crush but doesn’t need to survive baggage handlers.

If I was going overseas, I’d spend more.

I did actually see this one advertised, I looked up how much the replacement foam would be and it was a bout £100. So after paying for the case + postage + new foam its close to the cost of a new pelican case. A new one would come with the lifetime warranty also (seems like you need proof of original purchase from a retailer).

So at £200 this one doesn't make sense for me I don't think. Thanks for having a look thought.

Ive never found anything that betters a peli case for transporting anything that may get thrown around in transport (cameras, rifles etc) but sounds like you may be better off looking at one of Ogdens rifle slips, really good protection, very well made and superb company to deal with. In your budget range too.

Just had a look at these, they seems really high quality so I'll keep them in mind / add them to my list of ones to have a look at a bit further.

I did actually see this one advertised, I looked up how much the replacement foam would be and it was a bout £100. So after paying for the case + postage + new foam its close to the cost of a new pelican case. A new one would come with the lifetime warranty also (seems like you need proof of original purchase from a retailer).

So at £200 this one doesn't make sense for me I don't think. Thanks for having a look thought.
It’s not necessary to get the original Peli foam. Plenty of alternatives.

It’s not necessary to get the original Peli foam. Plenty of alternatives.
I just did a quick google search and it just came back with official foam for about £100. Are you suggesting I could get some some foam from like a upholstery shop and cut it to size myself? (I would guess its hard to get exactly the right thickness but I haven't tried yet) or that there are other companies that supply foam sets for pelican cases that are already cut to the correct size that would be a bit cheaper than original foam sets?

If its the latter I can probably reconsider my stance on the used Peli cases. I've seen a few around the £200 mark that previously I thought would be too expensive once I buy the foam as well.

Good foam is cheap on E bay / Amazon.

eFoam is the company I use to get any foam I need, it comes in any size or thickness you choose and is reasonably priced.
I use packaging foam, they can be googled or contacted direct on 0800 043 9990 or 01902 405300
Nothing like the cost of original Peli Foam and can be cut for any shape of firearm you choose.

Back