Red Deer In Maize

swesandy

Hi All

On one of my permissions the Maize is getting hammered by red deer and with them coming in season very soon, I was wondering if anyone had any tips to deal with them, was considering a free standing tower but not sure if the height required would be feasable and the maize is already 6ft plus in height. Have not even managed to see one yet but lots of damage, slots and fresh poo.

Thanks

Andy

Tim.243

Find their entry and exit, a portable high seat should be sufficient. john

+1 also,

Re-con with a couple of cameras is what I use, with the Reds being the size they are then follow the tracks where you can set up the units for a head count.

They are very big so if you do go to shoot then be well prepared for the work involved!

In truth you will only knock over one as you might find one will be enough for the whole experiance!

But good luck.

Tim.243

lw woodlands

Sounds unlikely that you'll be able to shoot them in the crop. Are they resident on your ground or coming in from neighbouring land?
Find their runs where they are entering the crop and you may be able to identify positions to shoot them on the headland or adjacent land as they move in/out to feed.
Work out their habits, are they laying up there in the day or moving in at night to feed? It may all be nocturnal damage and you'll never see them, you may catch them moving to and from the area or if they are laying up you may be able to move them out of the crop into more open ground if you have a shooting buddy.

swesandy

Find their entry and exit, a portable high seat should be sufficient. john

There is no other cover near and its a large field, so I think they have taken up residence for the time being, will they come out of it often? as they seem to have all the food they need. The only place i could put a high seat up and get a safe shot would only put me about twenty yards from them is that too close?

Highlandsjohn

There is no other cover near and its a large field, so I think they have taken up residence for the time being, will they come out of it often? as they seem to have all the food they need. The only place i could put a high seat up and get a safe shot would only put me about twenty yards from them is that too close?

Maybe you could enlist someone with a drone to see if they are resident like you think. The h.s. could be put up just inside the the crop line preferably where they are causing the damage. Good luck john

Triumph_Dave

Hi All

On one of my permissions the Maize is getting hammered by red deer and with them coming in season very soon, I was wondering if anyone had any tips to deal with them, was considering a free standing tower but not sure if the height required would be feasable and the maize is already 6ft plus in height. Have not even managed to see one yet but lots of damage, slots and fresh poo.

Thanks

Andy

Had exactly the same issue last year, impossible to nail them in the crop, but as per other posts if you identify their regular in and out points its worth putting up a temp high stand and nailing them before they enter the crop.. I found they went in from woodland late afternoon into the crop.. Also u will need help to handle the blighters.. big beasts. You can sledge them with a bushwear eurohunt type sledge and quad or better still have your farmer help with a tractor and fore loader.. As your field of maze is in open country, I would work around the maze field boundary to locate the entry points.. In my area they went in/out before dusk and after dawn and did not stay in the crop all day.. I would say you will need more than 20 yds from the entry point, I suspect they will be in groups, so multiple sets of eyes/ears and scenting.. Having said this, if they are moving in and out you could position the h/seat to target them before and after they have left the maize in open fields, as they must be going somewhere and they normally have a routine field path from food to cover. By the start of the season the stags will mostly still group together, maybe 3-10 individuals depending on your area..

Last edited:

CharlieT

It is entirely possible that they have taken up residence in the crop, I see it every year.
They will though come out to drink, usually early evening. Identify where they are drinking, check racks and look for slots at nearest water and intercept them there.

garfy

Take an extra magazine!! Ive done a five, but a mate of mine did 9 one evening, would ave been double figures, but the second mag only had 4 rounds in it.
Be prepared for the hard work after, we came out of the larder at 5 in the morning. They were shot at last light in november.

devon deer stalker

That is so true, it's not until you get a red on the ground, then trying to avoid damaging the crops whilst extracting it.

As an example, I had a client earlier this year, new to this game, he wanted to drag the roe doe back to the truck, no issues with me, up over the Devon hills, around 500 yards.
I met him recently with his family, he said 'damn that doe weighed 70kg and I dragged it all the way whilst having a stinking cold!' er, I soon put him right on that one!
I will leave the next red for him to extract!
Cheers
Richard
They are very big so if you do go to shoot then be well prepared for the work involved!

In truth you will only knock over one as you might find one will be enough for the whole experiance!

But good luck.

Tim.243