Red deer tusks / prepping cleaning

sauer

Hi folks

Got couple tusks from a stag I shot ... would like to keep them .....removed them but they have bit of gristle etc stuck to them like cement!

With them being small and fiddle what’s best way to prep them / clean them up please ?

Cheers
Paul

bogtrotter

Don't boil them, it can remove the staining which gives them their value( though they don't have much value at the present time)

Remember some years ago when we were getting seven pounds a set , a certain stalker had over a hundred pairs which he had boiled only to find he could not get a sale for them an expensive lesson.

Just scrape the tissue away with a knife easiest done when fresh,if its gone hard just soak them for a few hours but don't boil them.

potshotpat

Don't boil them, it can remove the staining which gives them their value( though they don't have much value at the present time)

Remember some years ago when we were getting seven pounds a set , a certain stalker had over a hundred pairs which he had boiled only to find he could not get a sale for them an expensive lesson.

Just scrape the tissue away with a knife easiest done when fresh,if its gone hard just soak them for a few hours but don't boil them.
+ 1 :tiphat:

MW3

Never had any problems with loosing colour, but then I didn't boil them for too long !

ChrisWill184

What is a good use for these? I have only shot one red stag and kept them but not sure what to do with them. Thought about setting them into a piece of antler on top of a stick or a fairly gruesome necklace which wouldn’t suit me. Anyone any ideas?

Sorry if im hijacking the thread.

lochty

A lot of the continental guests we had wanted the tusks to display with their head. I think they placed them under the skull, simply glued with Araldite or similar, under the skull. For some reason they valued them almost as highly as the trophy.