Red Dot Sights with Variable Mag?

lambic

Hoping somebody can guide me down the right track here.

Looking for a red dot sight to put on a semi auto 22LR. Semi auto probably a Browning Buckmark 22LR rifle, so not particularly accurate and will not used for rabbit headshots. Just plinking and targets from 30 to 60m away.

Basically, close range stuff. But I would like the benefits of say 3x or 4x for longer targets.

So:

* What size MOA red dot would be best for up to 60m? 2 MOA ? 3 MOA?

* Are there any negative issues with low magnification red dot sights ? (Other than normal scope issues of reduced FOV)

* Any recommendations in the sub 200 pounds price bracket?

Cheers in advance

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

nun_hunter

I'd go for a zero mag red dot sight and a 3x flip over magnifier. Best of both worlds then and you'll get a better quality red dot sight and can get away with a cheaper magnifier.

lambic

Any suggestions? I seem to be going round in circles on the optics websites

alberta boy

I'd go for a zero mag red dot sight and a 3x flip over magnifier. Best of both worlds then and you'll get a better quality red dot sight and can get away with a cheaper magnifier.
Good suggestion . I had this set up on a AR-15 and it worked great . That being said , I have a Vortex SPARC 2 that I'm putting on a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun . With the 2 moa dot , it's easy to use past 100 yards . Granted , I'm shooting at big game , but for what the OP has in mind , I don't think I'd bother with the magnifier , but that's just me .
The Vortex is a good red dot for the money , and they have a lifetime warranty . If you want to spend more , the Aimpoint red dots are great , but they're not exactly giving them away lol . If it was me , I'd try the red dot first and if you feel you need it , get the magnifier later . I would definitely go with a 2 moa dot , I've used 4 moa dots on different firearms before and found they covered too large an area for accurate shooting much past 25 yards .

AB

lambic

Thanks Gents.

So I should look at a 2 MOA red dot sight and see how works out.

I quickly looked at the Aimpoint stuff but the prices are too high for what I am doing. Definitely not big game ! Money vermin only possibly.

I'll have a look at the Vortex SPARC II.

With the Vortex SPARC , is it parralax free ? I.e. the target will not move around if I move line of sight

Are magnifiers simple lenses or are they electrical?

Cheers

lambic

What is lighter : red dot + magnifier. Or decent 1-6 scope illuminated?

jthyttin

Just plinking and targets from 30 to 60m away.

Basically, close range stuff. But I would like the benefits of say 3x or 4x for longer targets.
For clarification, would the plinking also be at 30m or more?

If so, don't buy a red dot. Find a scope with low magnification and substantial reticle or daytime visible illumination. I'd say you can get away with 2x-3x minimum magnification so there's a lot of choice. In your price bracket I'd try to find one with German #4 or heavy duplex reticle.

I don't like magnifiers at all. Clumsy, very narrow FOV, seriously cut down low light capability (mostly blame the red dot itself for that). Try before you buy, if going this route.

lambic

Plinking and targets would be 25 to 50m. Depends where I put the targets in the garden. More than likely around 40m most of the time.

I'm guessing good german glass with an illuminated reticle is going to cost big money though ? Sounds like driven boar kit

jthyttin

I'm guessing good german glass with an illuminated reticle is going to cost big money though ?
I meant reticle called "German #4" and no illumination, since there's only an odd choice (of low quality) with illumination in your price bracket. And it may be easier to find heavy duplex reticle, although I'd prefer #4.

If you have suitable scope on your stalking rifle, I'd say take the bolt out and try to get a feel what magnification is best in your garden. If using multiple targets, pay attention to FOV so you can see next target and the transition is easy.

If you can cope with regular duplex reticle, there's huge choice. I'd stay with known brands and put more value to glass quality than gimmicks.

trichinosis

Looks to me like either an optic or a red dot will serve you fine. You should test low-magnification variable optics and 1x fixed mag red dots. Get the one that suits you. Some people like optics and other like dots. In my opinion if you need more than 1x magnification the advantages of a red dot diminish greatly.

Red dots suit me very well so here's my 2cents if you end up with one:

- a top-tier red dot will get you a low-to-mid-tier optic for the same price
- 2MOA is fine unless you need ultra-fast target acquisition
- there really is no proper eye relief for a dot so you can increase or decrease FOV by mounting the sight closer or farther from your eye