Red squirrel

Darren Armstrong

Came across a red squirrel that was hit by a vehicle today poor thing. I took it home and rapped in plastic bag and put in freezer. Wuld like to get it stuffed but, have I done the write thing by putting it in freezer and is there any legal issues. Will try and forward some photos, my techno skills are not good so this culd take a while. 20210814_163355.jpg

375 mag

It's fine in the freezer wrapped up, no legal issues to worry about. Just get it to your taxidermist as soon as you can. It also looks in good condition so will make a lovely mount.

Smelly Yeti

It's fine in the freezer wrapped up, no legal issues to worry about. Just get it to your taxidermist as soon as you can. It also looks in good condition so will make a lovely mount.
I’d double check the ‘no legal issues’-

The ‘Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981’ clearly states that
:
‘it is also an offence to possess or control, sell or offer for sale, or possess or transport for the purpose of sale, any living or dead red squirrel or any derivative of such an animal’.

The legislation is specific as it would be impossible to prove where dead animals were obtained and all possession is therefore illegal without specific licence eg. for educational or research purposes.

Darren Armstrong

I’d double check the ‘no legal issues’-

The ‘Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981’ clearly states that
:
‘it is also an offence to possess or control, sell or offer for sale, or possess or transport for the purpose of sale, any living or dead red squirrel or any derivative of such an animal’.

The legislation is specific as it would be impossible to prove where dead animals were obtained and all possession is therefore illegal without specific licence eg. for educational or research purposes.
I was thinking there would be something like that. I took pictures of before and after were I lifted it wether that' helps r not I don't know.

deerstalker.308

I was thinking there would be something like that. I took pictures of before and after were I lifted it wether that' helps r not I don't know.
To the best of my knowledge it doesn’t stop you having it mounted, but you wouldn’t be able to sell it. The same law covers otters I believe. Swans are another one which are weirdly protected and can only be possessed for educational purposes

catzrob

Oh, and he successfully overturned the b****ks legislation in court, proper legend, RIP.
Can you share the story? He was charged with possession of a dead red squirrel and beat the rap?

I’m totally with you that the law is stupid if it stops people mounting red squirrel roadkill (yours look great!) but it does seem pretty clear so I’m curious!

Freeforester

Can you share the story? He was charged with possession of a dead red squirrel and beat the rap?

I’m totally with you that the law is stupid if it stops people mounting red squirrel roadkill (yours look great!) but it does seem pretty clear so I’m curious!
No - something a bit bigger: a tiger!