red zone

bluesako

why with all this concern over the indian strain, and how india is struggling with the covid 19, why are we still letting plane loads people coming from india back into the uk , i begger belief or am i missing something? bs.

Woodsmoke

I quote . . .

'to help British nationals return home and ensure the transport of “critical freight” is not disrupted'

Apparently, there's an estimated 1000 people per day arriving in the UK from India. Go figure, huh?

Apthorpe

You're missing that "all this concern" is just hype created by officials as an excuse to keep restricting people's lives. They do it every time a set of restrictions is due to expire. As with the other variants, scientists have been propagating alarmist and exaggerated claims about the dangers of it, and ignoring the effectiveness of vaccines. As previously, the concern is turning out to be nothing more than hysteria. It may already have peaked in some areas.
If you've had your vaccine, you've nothing to worry about in terms of serious illness or death.

pob

Each person arriving from a red list country has to isolate in a government approved and controlled quarantine hotel, for 10 days, at a cost to them of £1750 per person. They are not allowed out, except within any internal courtyard. They are not allowed visitors, even from Deliveroo. The hotel and security staff test every single day. The travellers have to take two accurate PCR tests, on Day 2 and Day 8, with genomic sequencing to catch any VoCs (Viruses of Concern). If they test positive, their stay is extended. This is much like the process in Australia and NZ who managed ingress of the virus very successfully. These people are not currently adding to infections in the UK.

Apthorpe

Each person arriving from a red list country has to isolate in a government approved and controlled quarantine hotel, for 10 days, at a cost to them of £1750 per person. They are not allowed out, except within any internal courtyard. They are not allowed visitors, even from Deliveroo. The hotel and security staff test every single day. The travellers have to take two accurate PCR tests, on Day 2 and Day 8, with genomic sequencing to catch any VoCs (Viruses of Concern). If they test positive, their stay is extended. This is much like the process in Australia and NZ who managed ingress of the virus very successfully. These people are not currently adding to infections in the UK.
Yes, but I believe that in Australia and NZ the period of quarantine is not preceded by a mandatory half-day spent crowded into a room with thousands of people from non-red list countries who then go out into the community without the need for hotel quarantine.
Regardless, it's a bit of a silly fuss because we're already protected as a nation. There is no rational excuse for any continued restrictions.

User00025

And boat loads arriving across the channel are just a mirage are they?

Mungo

Yes, but I believe that in Australia and NZ the period of quarantine is not preceded by a mandatory half-day spent crowded into a room with thousands of people from non-red list countries who then go out into the community without the need for hotel quarantine.
Regardless, it's a bit of a silly fuss because we're already protected as a nation. There is no rational excuse for any continued restrictions.

I will bet you £10 that there will be a surge in mortality high enough to induce the government to impose another lockdown.

I’m not saying the lockdown will be justified. Just that it will happen because they will (as they always do) cave to public pressure once mortality reaches a certain point.

User00025

I will bet you £10 that there will be a surge in mortality high enough to induce the government to impose another lockdown.

I’m not saying the lockdown will be justified. Just that it will happen because they will (as they always do) cave to public pressure once mortality reaches a certain point.
I agree that it will come again. But isn't that what Govts are elected for, to represent the public when the public require something to be done?

Apthorpe

Deal. Winnings to a charity of your choice?