Rediscovering the humble .22

Blobby159

In my smallbore days I was told Tenex was simply basic Eley club ammo that had passed quality control as being much more accurate and was boxed differently.
SOMEBODY didn't like or rate TENEX much then eh?
I think that MAY have come from what I believe I heard in my early days of team indoor .22 competitive shooting that was that the brand new swaging dies making the lead projectiles were first used to make the TENEX bullets for tens of thousands of them. Then, when same dies eventually wore down and the tight measurements needed to give the highly accurate bullets became 'sloppy' then the dies were allowed a new lease of life and given over to producing tens of thousands more projectiles, but this time they got used in the production of 'Club' rounds, that were/are very slightly less accurately produced and where the measurements are less tightly held due to wear on the bullet swaging dies!?.

That may or may not be true of course, but is a little more believable than the passed closer inspections or not I feel??

What you have as an explanation is one I have heard that supposedly separates the Federal Gold Medal (GM) Primers as compared to the more every day, regular Federal Primers, where the more highly checked over ones become the GM versions...?? Again, could just be one of those shooting community 'Myths' but I have no feel for the correctness of that one way or the other,...

ATB ....... and shoot safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foxdropper

My first fac gun was a 22 brno 10/22 damm it was fun not very accurate but had it for years. Bought myself a sako quad in. 22 bullet in bullet with that. Rare wabbits werst nightmare
Think you might be confusing the ruger 10/22 with a Brno mate .
Ghastly things them .

devon deer stalker

I have 6 “bang sticks” in my cabinet, some have changed over the years, but the one constant and never to be sold or moved on is my .22. The fun rabbiting cannot be overstated, my son is now stalking, but he cut his teeth, like most of us, with my .22. A great little rifle/caliber.

My old BRNO is beaten up and battered, sat underneath a fairly cheap scope, but I can pull that rifle out of the cabinet and put four rounds in an inch group at 50mts every time.

I can’t convey the amount of times I have had the “you MUST get a .17 HMR for rabbiting” my answer was/is always......Why! How much would 200 rounds a week, at the peak, cost me compared to my trusty .22.

.22LR, you just got to love em. :love::love:
I could have almost written the same post, maybe we are 'old school' Mr M, I know we are old!

I was brought up with .22 air rifle, then onto .22 rimfire, a great way to learn fieldcraft.

My first experience around the much hyped .17hmr was with my friend who was fairly new to shooting, he ignored my advice of getting a .22 and went for a .17hmr, of course all I heard in the truck on the way to the rabbit ground was how his .17 was going to out shoot my .22, so we knocked over a few at around 50 yards and then looked out a bit further, I remember this so well, he saw a bunny at around 120 yards, he had a bash and missed, whilst he was taking aim I had secretly switched magazines, 'your turn' he mused, then the .22 'cracked' off a round and the bunny fell stone dead, 'what the hell was that?', I replied 'that my friend was a Stinger!' it took the wind out of his sails!

Cheers

Richard

Klenchblaize

That is the same as MY little .22LR and bought mine around 35 or so years back too. And apart from a few light scratches and dings to the woodwork through handling mistakes out rabbiting it looks like new and shoot like new too. WONDEROUS wee thing and as per just about everybody responding on here, NOT to be parted from my living hands... like EVER!!

She has never skipped a beat and has brought me home literally thousands of quality bunny meat to feed on, many tree rats and a few foxes.

She has also given me hours of fun practice, shooting at odd angles and varied distances, but with special emphasis on the longer ranges with this wee caliber, from say 80 to 100 yards or so. I have always zeroed her at 65yds which I have found just about ideal for the ammo she digests (and has almost always digested) excepting in that first year or so when I experimented with all manner of different cartridges, subs, high and hyper velocities.

That pride of place goes to the truly excellent and magically repeatable 40 grain Winchester Truncated Hollow Point SubSonic Rounds.

Of course (or maybe, given the .22LR's propensity to liking differing types/makes/weights etc. of ammo independent on the rifle make, model, barrel length etc NOT "of course") she does quite like the more exotic - read MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE - target rounds specialties like ELEY TENEX etc, especially the ones with that flat meplat design and a wee dimple ontop/out front.!! Those target rounds really ARE the bees knees for pure, competition accuracy even in my fine little 22 & 1/2 " rifle barrel, but then that is exactly what they were designed to deliver.... OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL level of SUPERB, perhaps even Unmatched, ACCURACY!!

But back to ground level, my little Anschutz 1422 is MINE till I am no longer a part of this shooting community, or any other community for that matter, and I hope the next owner loves & respects her as much as I do and have done!!...

ATB ...... and shoot safely

I'm experimenting with a modification of Lapua's 22LR Midus+ target ammo that attempts to convert the solid points to that of expanding (read hollow point) for squirrel hunting. The reason being the massive diffrence in ammo consistency between the Midus and RWS sub-sonic.

K

Blobby159

I'm experimenting with a modification of Lapua's 22LR Midus+ target ammo that attempts to convert the solid points to that of expanding (read hollow point) for squirrel hunting. The reason being the massive diffrence in ammo consistency between the Midus and RWS sub-sonic.

K
I will be most interested in how you do there 'K' as I have found that same, fine .22LR round to be one of THE very best in accuracy at range from my own Anschutz 1422 !!

Would you mind keeping me 'in the loop' here please mate, even, if you don't mind doing so, explaining what exactly it is that you are doing, with the occasional relative photobetc..??

Kind Regards,
Blobbs..

Klenchblaize

I will be most interested in how you do there 'K' as I have found that same, fine .22LR round to be one of THE very best in accuracy at range from my own Anschutz 1422 !!

Would you mind keeping me 'in the loop' here please mate, even, if you don't mind doing so, explaining what exactly it is that you are doing, with the occasional relative photobetc..??

Kind Regards,
Blobbs..

In simple terms it's modifying the bullet with a projectile profile reforming die/punch but starting with accurate ammo rather than trying to improve consistency in non target ammo. The latter being somthing that will always be other than successful due to less than ideal consistency in the primary and igniting charge.

This forum thread gives a flavour of things: Accurizing 22 Rimfire Ammunition - Do The Bullet Modifications Really Work?

K

Blobby159

In simple terms it's modifying the bullet with a projectile profile reforming die/punch but starting with accurate ammo rather than trying to improve consistency in non target ammo. The latter being somthing that will always be less than successful due to consultancy of primary and igniting charge.

This forum thread gives a flavour of things: Accurizing 22 Rimfire Ammunition - Do The Bullet Modifications Really Work?

K
'K'.. I will consume this with great interest my friend.

sharkbait

If I could have only one rifle it would be the .22lr, grew up as a kid stalking rabbits on the local golf course around the bushes with the hw80 springer and had every weirauch rifles there was still got a hw100 great go to rifle for rabbits and squirrels or rats do love me rat shooting with the thermal

Skye

That’s a good looking .22 Klenchblaize. Could you please tell me make and model. Thanks Skye ( .22’s owned Brno, Winchester Mod 62, 1890 Winchester hex barrel, crescent butt, she’s lovely!

For all of you that enjoy the humble .22lr please take a look at this event in Leicestershire.
We never take it too seriously but we doo have a damn good time. Targets range from 50-300yds so a good challenge for the .22lr you can almost get off the firing point by the time the bullet strikes.
A good friend of mine has just set it up for like-minded people to get together and have some safe fun stretching the legs of this little caliber.

All the best.
Hal