Reduced loads

robus10T

Hi there folks what powder yas all using for reduced loads 308 3006 and subsonic in 222 223 as having problems getting trail boss.

thegreg

I’ve played about with reduced loads in all the calibres you’ve mentioned except .222, just for practice/plinking at a local indoor club. I’ve found the best powder for that sort of thing is Unique. I’ve tried D060 (new version of 5744) but have had no end of issues with inconsistent ignition and unburned powder, particularly in the bigger cases.

For Unique loads you’ll need to find an older version of the Lyman cast bullet handbook. The new book doesn’t list a lot of the faster pistol powders for bottleneck cases. Think there could even be a PDF download of it floating around.

Cheers
Greg

robus10T

I’ve played about with reduced loads in all the calibres you’ve mentioned except .222, just for practice/plinking at a local indoor club. I’ve found the best powder for that sort of thing is Unique. I’ve tried D060 (new version of 5744) but have had no end of issues with inconsistent ignition and unburned powder, particularly in the bigger cases.

For Unique loads you’ll need to find an older version of the Lyman cast bullet handbook. The new book doesn’t list a lot of the faster pistol powders for bottleneck cases. Think there could even be a PDF download of it floating around.

Cheers
Greg
I think i have an old lyman cast book from the 70s ill have ta have a dig about see if i can find thanks

Highlandsjohn

Hi thanks have ya any data info
Hello robus 10T, I am afraid my knowledge of the Tin Star was to replace Trail Boss in .44 muzzle loaded pistol for a shooting friend and there is data for such pistols.
As you know,Trail Boss was originally designed for cowboy pistol loads and they developed it to suit reduced loads for our rifles and produced recipes.
I have not trawled through for suitable loads using Tin Star for rifle loads but I expect they will be there somewhere.
Maybe Spud can help as you can see they sell it.
I still have a small stash of Trail Boss so not had to go down that route yet. From what I have read it does not have the same bulk of TB (67%) iirc.
Anyway good luck looking, it all adds to the fun and our obsession with reloading.

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd
Search for:Search
Home/Shop/Vihtavuori Powder/Vihtavuori Pistol Powders – N32C

https://www.1967spud.com/shop/vhitavuori/vihtavuori-pistol-powders-n32c/#

Vihtavuori Pistol Powders – N32C
£45.00
Lapua recommends Vihtavuori powders for reloading. The selection covers more that 20 different types – a right choice for all disciplines, guns and shooting styles.
Vihtavuori reloading powders.
RELOADING DATA FOR RIFLE HERE
RELOADING DATA FOR HANDGUN HERE
ALL POWDER 1/2 KG LOTS UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE