reef n beef

John Gryphon

Not quite either but close.
The `64 knocked over a velvet spikey this morning and eventually I got the ute up 'close-ish' and had to run a spare cable to him then an extension cable and skull dragged him out to where my boat winch could take over,broke his neck too when he hit a log on the tug out. He is nice and fat. Sorted him out at home and also paunch/liver/neck bagged against flies too.
I then did a quick yabby harvest and cook up and made a sanga for my mid morn snack,hammered it with S+P and some chilli flakes.... `twas a good morning. When the Covid famine hits the world I hope that the free range tucker is still available.
Obv no flash used.

fern extrac spikey.jpg yabby sanga.jpg yabb sanger bite.jpg

Woodsmoke

Beautiful! How do you prepare them for cooking? I was only a kid when I had them last.

If they're anything like our crayfish, this might be a handy tip if you don't already do it? Just prior to dropping them into the boiling water, twist the centre ray of the tail 90 degrees one way, then the other, and then gently pull until it comes away. It should bring the entire intestinal tract out with it in one piece. Saves purging them. Sounds barbaric, but they have such a rudimentary CNS that I really don't think it makes much difference

John Gryphon

Beautiful! How do you prepare them for cooking? I was only a kid when I had them last.

If they're anything like our crayfish, this might be a handy tip if you don't already do it? Just prior to dropping them into the boiling water, twist the centre ray of the tail 90 degrees one way, then the other, and then gently pull until it comes away. It should bring the entire intestinal tract out with it in one piece. Saves purging them. Sounds barbaric, but they have such a rudimentary CNS that I really don't think it makes much difference
Boiling water,salt,white vinegar and simmer till done,maybe 5 mins...I eat the lot except shell..mustard **** vein the works. Same as prawns,this de veining of prawns is rubbish imo.