Registering as a food business

Cris

Unfortunately, as we have heard on this and other threads on the subject, not all L A Environmental Health employees fully understand the Regulations and are subsequently advising wrongly. Maybe it’s a career path to becoming an FEO? ;)
Orion you are probably correct. Still the opening advice in the guide is to contact your L.A as circumstances are not the same for all. Between them and any on with common sense it should be possible to work it out.

25 Sharpes I'm an at a loss to your agresive attitude. Maybe you are trying to bait me into saying something negative towards an individual but that is not go in to happen. I think anyone reading this would agree and at no time have I said that anyone specific should not apply as I have and nor do you any idea of individual circumstances.
Clearly many would have to but not all.

Apologies to anyone offended buy me suggesting people contact their L.A as the official body responsible.

Really is the last post. Can't see any benefit in carry in it on for me.

deerstalker.308

Well, following from seeing this post I contacted my local authority. Seems my situation has confused them somewhat so can only assume that whilst being in a very “deery” part of the world that not many other folk have registered as it all seemed pretty new to them. Suffice to say, all they required was a form filling (a lot of which I had to leave blank as it was irrelevant) and a phone conversation just to explain a few details.
Nothing more onerous, no paperwork to show I’ve done it, I’m on their system, they’re happy. Crack on.

liongeorge

Hmm. I wonder how many who supply to a aghe are registered. Probably less than 1%. What are the implications if you don’t...who’s going to prosecute and in what circumstances ? The local authorities haven’t got 2 pennies to rub together not surprised they told someone not to worry about it. Surely its more important for them to be checking the Chinese for rats?

slider

Hmm. I wonder how many who supply to a aghe are registered. Probably less than 1%. What are the implications if you don’t...who’s going to prosecute and in what circumstances ? The local authorities haven’t got 2 pennies to rub together not surprised they told someone not to worry about it. Surely its more important for them to be checking the Chinese for rats?
I think the answer will come if there is an outbreak of food poisoning and its traced back to the AGHE. Wouldn't want to take the risk.

Orion

I think the answer will come if there is an outbreak of food poisoning and its traced back to the AGHE. Wouldn't want to take the risk.
Agree with that. Plus, if it were enforced more by Local Authorities, and AGHEs had to up their game, it might act as a deterrent to poaching in some small way.

cookingfat

just gone through the process myself

the inspector that came out was most helpful, he even sent me HACCP table and guidance for Vac pacs and sausage making.

very easy to do, and now I can skin, butcher and sell to other food businesses 25% of the my yearly deer cull.

If I won't to sell more or process more he said just let him know and he will advice.

with venison prices at a low and some game dealers not taking chest shot deer this has to be the way to go!

The inspector did say that he had a lot of applications over the last few months.

This has probably been due to the NGO's advice to shoots back in the Autumn.

white van man

This may have been covered already if so I apologise for being repetitive.
I now find I am going to have to sell venison to a dealer.
Having spoken to one this week I am told the Deer stalking Certificate which also covers "large game meat Hygiene" is all I need.
They use my DSC1 certificate nos:
It is item 7 on my DSC1cert.

It States:
Larger Game Meat Hygiene. The requirement of the Game meat regulations, care and Large game elements to enable supply of large game to approved game handling establishments.

Hope this is helpfull.

Steve.

Glyn 1

Having spoken to one this week I am told the Deer stalking Certificate which also covers "large game meat Hygiene" is all I need.
They use my DSC1 certificate nos:
It is item 7 on my DSC1cert.

It States:
Larger Game Meat Hygiene. The requirement of the Game meat regulations, care and Large game elements to enable supply of large game to approved game handling establishments.

Hope this is helpfull.

Steve.
Plus be registered as a Food Business with your Local Authority.

Orion

Have you read this thread and the Wild Game Guide? You have been advised incorrectly. To sell to a game dealer (AGHE) you must be registered with your Local Authority. It’s not an onerous process and can possibly be completed online. It might not even require a visit from Environmental Health if all you are doing is transporting from the field to the dealer’s premises.

deerstalker.308

As above, however I’ve yet to be asked by a game dealer to show I am registered, and havi gnow registered I don’t have a shred of evidence saying as much, so it’s not like I have any means of proving it to them even if they asked! Talk about pointless bureaucracy (I understand how it COULD be useful but as the current system is, it is somewhat flawed!)

Orion

The legislation may not currently have any teeth in practice, but as previously noted you can imagine how far down the pecking order the microscope will be focused if there were to be a serious outbreak of food poisoning or similar event.

It costs nothing to be registered and, from my own experience and as posted by others, may not even require a visit. So why not comply? Interestingly enough our largest local AGHE sent out an email a couple of years ago to all their suppliers offering to register them en masse. So some do pay attention to the Regulations and maybe they do consult with LAs to ascertain who is registered?

VSS

Did your local
As above, however I’ve yet to be asked by a game dealer to show I am registered, and havi gnow registered I don’t have a shred of evidence saying as much, so it’s not like I have any means of proving it to them even if they asked! Talk about pointless bureaucracy (I understand how it COULD be useful but as the current system is, it is somewhat flawed!)
Did your local authority not send you a letter confirming your registration?

Orion

I have never had any communication from mine either! After filling in the form (much left blank as per deerstalker.308) I gave them a call and was informed that I’m on the register. I presume it depends on the level of involvement and how busy they are as to whether you get a visit - or even an acknowledgement!

VSS

Nope, apparently my details are now on their system..... that’s as much as they said. I get nothing in writing from them.....
Oh, they must have a different system around here. I got an initial letter confirming my registration, and then another letter after the inspection, summarising the various points discussed.

slider

I'm going through the process in the Scottish Borders and while the Council contact has tried to be helpful he DOES understand the law him self. Quite troubling!

I have stated repeatedly that all I want to do is register as a Food Business in order that I can sell in fur carcasses to an AGHE. Consequently all he needs to see is the carcass tray I use to transport carcasses in my car and my chilled (A 2nd hand larder fridge) in case I may need to store the carcasses for a short while before moving on.

He started off insisting he need to inspect the premises I use to butcher deer for home consumption (the kitchen when the wife is out!) And then insisted I needed to register as an AGHE!

He is beginning to relent after I quoted the FSA wild game guide, which he apparently knew nothing about!!!!

Anyway, inspection in a couple of weeks and we'll see how that goes...

jcampbellsmith

I got e-mails confirming my registrations as food businesses from both Highland and Edinburgh councils.
Regards
JCS
Practice seems to vary wildly. My Edinburgh scenario is a tray in the back of my car and a fridge in my garage (about to be upgraded). I had an inspection and was asked to produce a method statement, a risk assessment and keep temperature records.

My father has a small purpose built larder in Sutherland that I have registered on-line and there has been no inspection of the premises or the paperwork by the council. I have had the larder inspected by SQWV and that's what prompted it's registration as a food business.

Both premises have a very low throughput, but their paperwork needs to be in order.
Regards JCS

slider

I'm going through the process in the Scottish Borders and while the Council contact has tried to be helpful he DOES understand the law him self. Quite troubling!

I have stated repeatedly that all I want to do is register as a Food Business in order that I can sell in fur carcasses to an AGHE. Consequently all he needs to see is the carcass tray I use to transport carcasses in my car and my chilled (A 2nd hand larder fridge) in case I may need to store the carcasses for a short while before moving on.

He started off insisting he need to inspect the premises I use to butcher deer for home consumption (the kitchen when the wife is out!) And then insisted I needed to register as an AGHE!

He is beginning to relent after I quoted the FSA wild game guide, which he apparently knew nothing about!!!!

Anyway, inspection in a couple of weeks and we'll see how that goes...
This should read DOESN'T understand the law