Registering as a food business

foxdropper

Only joking lads
On reading closer it would appear there is an ounce of credibility .Thanks for bring to my attention .Not happy but stand corrected .Where do I apply for this please .

Alantoo

Codes of practice are guidance mate and remain that until passed as law .Snip....
Law as established or proved in court or law based on UK Government approved legislation...you wish to argue the toss?

Snip...Show me where anything says it supercedes previous guidance on ID and traceability .
So you are happy to abide by non-LAW earlier guidance, but not the current guidance which includes the traceability legislation from 2002. How far back was the guidance you comply with produced?

Only joking lads
On reading closer it would appear there is an ounce of credibility .Thanks for bring to my attention .Not happy but stand corrected .Where do I apply for this please .
Maybe pop back to the OP of this thread as a start?

Alan

VSS

Only joking lads
:tiphat:
To apply, download an application form from your Local Authority website. It costs nothing, and is not onerous. Just a formality, more or less.

Old-YOP

Applied for today .
Giving in to more shite eh, FD?

You obviously went to the same school of anti-authority that I did but now - having reached an age variously described as 'grand' and 'old' - I can tell you with absolute certainty that the fecking bureaucrats will beat you. Every single time.

I must have wasted years of my life battling with droids of one species or another, each time losing out to a much more powerful and thoroughly unscrupulous establishment. I was right. They were wrong.

Didn't matter. I could (should!!) have been up a high seat or on a beach instead.

Not worth it Sir.

Blue400

How will registering effect your household insurance, because they ask are running a business from your premises?
Atb blue.

Orion

How will registering effect your household insurance, because they ask are running a business from your premises?
Depends on your level of involvement. If you are registering purely to allow transportation and delivery to an AGHE as a private stalker, then you are not operating a commercial venture and registering as a ‘food business’ with your LA to comply with legislation will have no effect on your home insurance.

If you are processing and selling from your home address, then you should have already informed your insurers that part of the premises are being used commercially.

Blue400

Thanks for your reply, so do you register personally, or do you register the property ? If it's the property, is this not a grey area with regards your house insurance? As you have stated its only transporting to AGHE ..
Atb blue.

Orion

You register personally and unless you’re NFA you’ll put your address on the form.

If you’re that concerned about transporting game from field to AGHE, and how it might translate to using part of the premises as a commercial business, then inform your house insurers anyway - I’m sure they’ll be honest and wouldn’t welcome any opportunity to up the premium for no reason. ;)

foxdropper

Giving in to more shite eh, FD?

You obviously went to the same school of anti-authority that I did but now - having reached an age variously described as 'grand' and 'old' - I can tell you with absolute certainty that the fecking bureaucrats will beat you. Every single time.

I must have wasted years of my life battling with droids of one species or another, each time losing out to a much more powerful and thoroughly unscrupulous establishment. I was right. They were wrong.

Didn't matter. I could (should!!) have been up a high seat or on a beach instead.

Not worth it Sir.
Nail on the head mate ,same reason I won’t do the DSC courses .
What bugs me a tad is that if this is that important why does my game dealer not care whether I have it or why is it not on this forum in bold writing as a stalkers must have .
When a small number of people seem to gloat on any one thing it does the opposite to me and brings out the rebellion ,the question asker and reasons I don’t need it .
I still say it’s a grey area with field to dealer though .

VSS

What bugs me a tad is that if this is that important why does my game dealer not care whether I have it or why is it not on this forum in bold writing as a stalkers must have .
When a small number of people seem to gloat on any one thing it does the opposite to me and brings out the rebellion ,the question asker and reasons I don’t need it .
On the whole, Foxdropper, I'm inclined to agree with your stance. I've spent most of my life challenging unnecessary beaurocracy, and pushing the boundaries of the grey areas, so I feel your pain. However, in respect of this particular topic I think you're wrong.
As hunters, we're incredibly fortunate in that we have so few hoops to jump through in order to supply meat to a range of different customers without having to go through a licensed abattoir etc etc. Kill a cow or a sheep yourself, and try putting that into the food chain legitimately, and you'll see what I mean!
So, for the sake of a simple free-of-charge tick-box exercise, with the barest minimum of beaurocracy, we can enjoy a privilege that any livestock keeper would give his right arm for.
What's not to like?
However, it's only going to be allowed to continue in that way if we don't abuse the current system.

Alantoo

I enjoyed doing the DSC1. I wanted the opportunity to learn as much as I could, so just didn't see it as either onerous or an imposition.

I quite agree about the game dealers not checking where their supplies come from, it seems to be a godsend for poachers. The introduction of bank accounts for the scrap metal business seems to have drastically reduced the incidents of metal thievery. One would hope the game dealers would be keen to have a reliable/vetted/legal source of the meat they sell on.

Field to dealer...premises don't appear to come into it...the operative thing is selling is deemed to = business. I am surprised they don't use the Tax man's catch-all of "sale or reward".

Alan

foxdropper

On the whole, Foxdropper, I'm inclined to agree with your stance. I've spent most of my life challenging unnecessary beaurocracy, and pushing the boundaries of the grey areas, so I feel your pain. However, in respect of this particular topic I think you're wrong.
As hunters, we're incredibly fortunate in that we have so few hoops to jump through in order to supply meat to a range of different customers without having to go through a licensed abattoir etc etc. Kill a cow or a sheep yourself, and try putting that into the food chain legitimately, and you'll see what I mean!
So, for the sake of a simple free-of-charge tick-box exercise, with the barest minimum of beaurocracy, we can enjoy a privilege that any livestock keeper would give his right arm for.
What's not to like?
However, it's only going to be allowed to continue in that way if we don't abuse the current system.
What bothers me with things like this is it wont stop there ,you know it as well as I do but some seem to think it’s all good .
We were told we all needed a Hunter ID which doesn’t appear to be part of this scheme so is that now redundant .Wasted money on a course if that is the case as it only touched on what I already knew .
Anybody whos in the building trade will be fed up with bearocracy ,risk assessments,permits to work ,courses to do courses and the hse that seems to suit when it doesn’t mean spending a fortune .
The DSC courses are a very good INTRODUCTION but it seems some are instant experts and I can’t for the life of me see where it replaces time served but in some cases it has lead to people straight into a fc leases ffs
My own dealings with some of these new experts has been far from satisfactory and one current example I’m dealing with only serves to strengthen my resolve against it .
I was asked to mentor a chap with no deer experience at all but who had a 6.5 for paper punching .Hed done the DSC 1 and 2 so some sort of knowledge should have been gained .His safety with a weapon was far from satisfactory as was his knowledge of backstops and basic ballistics .Basically its a start from scratch issue with no live rounds until I’m happier with things .I know this is no reflection on the majority but I do wonder how he managed to pass both or even get granted the rifle in the first place .
Anyone who has mentored will know or should know that any recommendation made by you is a direct reflection on your own conduct .Time and patience is running out with this individual that may lead to negative advice as feedback to relevant firearms authority ,what they do with that is up to them .
My own philosophy is give in to one scenario,and they slap another course on you .

fallow me

Now that we will all registered as new food businesses , i guess the inland revenue have access to all that supply venison and game to joe public and AGHEs, , won't be long before they come knocking

foxdropper

Had the return email which states I’ve provided enough information and to carry on lol.Number attached so I phoned it .
There’s nothing to inspect she says ,no premises only back of my truck that they don’t want to see .Asked if I had any training in meat handling and then said email was my record of registering should I ever need it .No need to keep records either according to the nice lady .Few on here making a drama out of a crisis I’d say .
Most pointless bit of red tape ever since I got chucked off site for not wearing my hard hat whilst driving a 20 ton excavator lol.

Alantoo

snip...
Few on here making a drama out of a crisis I’d say .
Most pointless bit of red tape ever since I got chucked off site for not wearing my hard hat whilst driving a 20 ton excavator lol.
Glad you are sorted.

Relative points of view I guess...I thought most of the drama in this thread was down to trying to convince you that it was not hearsay. :)

Agree about the relative pointlessness of it for purely delivering to AGHE if you have a registered hunter number with the DMQ, but I guess that is not available to the local authority so this is for them, and especially if you are also going to sell to the end user... I suppose the Hunter number is your personal qualification and the other the registration with the wider world.

Why the AGHE do not need to confirm either before accepting carcasses I have no idea. That would make sense from a food safety/traceability point of view and do something towards reducing the market for poached venison.

Alan

Last edited:

foxdropper

Agreed mate and my main point of contention .The dealers we use have never asked for any form of ID ,registration or anything else which is why I questioned in first place .Studying tags in the dealers it seems I’m one of the few that actually fill in details of beast ,where ,when shot ,sex ,species etc most others just put name , ID and weight .
Glad I’m within the law though ,might get a good nights sleep now .