Registering as a food business

foxdropper

If records are needed ive kept every chitty from dealers over the years .They really aren’t interested in field to dealer are they ,let’s face it .You would be very unlucky to get a tug for falling foul of this red tape .

slider

If records are needed ive kept every chitty from dealers over the years .They really aren’t interested in field to dealer are they ,let’s face it .You would be very unlucky to get a tug for falling foul of this red tape .
Agreed, BUT if a stalker was unlucky enough to put a deer into the food that caused a human health issue, and a subsequent investigation found that there was no traceability for teh meat that caused the problem (I acknowledge that you have kept all you chitties, but many wouldn't have bothered), then the whole stalking community and venison industry would suffer. It's not a case of doing the least you can do, its a case of making sure every I is dotted and t is crossed

foxdropper

Why has there not been a thread on the duties of an aghe as surely tags and verification comes under the food act but all the dealers we use just want deer in as fast as possible .
Is it a case that we are just happy to have somewhere to take our harvest and don’t want to rock the boat .
Tell a lie Hampshire game was the only place we were asked for ID and all tags checked filled out right but only because someone was on site .
I know most dealers are open 24-7 and unmanned during closing times but surely if your new to them some form of responsibility lies with them to do the checks before accepting deer and accounts set up .

deerstalker.308

I’m registered with my game dealer, the first time I went there I took my level 1 certificate for them to copy and keep on file with my trained hunter number.
Since then I fill out a form for every deer that goes in, weight, sex, location shot, times etc, my vehicle reg, and I sign a declaration about the animals health etc. Each deer is assigned a tag number at that point. The only weak link is that I don’t know for certain the tag goes in the right deer (if I drop off half a dozen say) but I’ve never let that bother me unduly.
The weren’t interested in taking things from me without the right paperwork but have never asked me about being registered as a food business.....

deerstalker.308

I’ll also add that I don’t keep a detailed log of carcasses, I do keep the receipts from the game dealer and I keep a spreadsheet of the deer shot and time/location but that’s more to cover my back due to the sites being public in case of a complaint or something.

bogtrotter

Don't know where you guys are selling your deer, but the AGHE I use will not accept deer that have not been tagged you have to lodge a copy of your DSC before or with your first carcasses and supply your address and vehicle registration number if you are delivering to them rather then them collecting.
they must keep records of deer numbers and who supplied them records have to made available to SNH
We are also obliged to keep record which the land owner must make available to SNH
not fool proof I'm sure but does seem better than down south.

slider

Well that was "interesting". 1 1/2 hour visit from 2 people from the Council

They wanted to know all sorts of irrelevant things - where I had shooting permission, what AGHE, I was going to supply etc.

They started by saying I needed to be registered as a game dealer to supply a game dealer! And were not aware of the content of the FSA wild game guide.

Having pointed out the relevant content and lead the discussion on HACCP and hygiene I then produced my DSC certificates, which again they new nothing about.

They then wittered on about not being sure transporting carcasses in a private car we appropriate and question whether I could fit a carcass into my carcass tray.

Eventually they agreed I could be registered as a Food Business but said they didn't issue a certificate, but eventually agreed to write a letter confirming this.

Suffice to say they learned far more from the visit than I did.......

Last edited:

Cris

That’s an interesting point about using a private vehicles for transport. How would it affect your insurance if not declared for business use?

Alantoo

That’s an interesting point about using a private vehicles for transport. How would it affect your insurance if not declared for business use?
You never withhold any relevant detail from the insurance company unless you want them to withhold any relevant cash from a payout!

My policies are always Social Domestic and Pleasure and for the policyholder in connection with his business...I think it is fairly standard.

Check your policy or ask your insurer...

This from the first page of a google search...

Allianz...

Class 1. Class 1 use is when the car is being used for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and for use by the insured and/or spouse in connection with his/her business or occupation.

What is covered under Business Class 1 and 2?
Class 1
Class 1 use is when the car is being used for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and for use by the insured and/or spouse in connection with his/her business or occupation. Class 1 use covers an annual business mileage of up to 1,000 miles/1,600 kilometres paid or up to 2,000miles/3,200 kilometres unpaid.

Class 2
Class 2 use is when the car is being used for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and for use by the insured and/or spouse in connection with his/her business which is not covered by Class 1 (i.e. more than 1000 miles/1600 kilometres per year). The maximum mileage covered per year under Class 2 is 10,000 miles/16,000 kilometres.

Alan

foxdropper

On another point I guess if inland revenue want a cut from money payed in and that’s entirely possible ,how many have kept all the cost of the rifle ,bullets ,diesel receipts ,cloths worn ,knives ,stalking ground costs (if any )and cost to keep a dog ,all to offset against the reward lol.

VSS

On another point I guess if inland revenue want a cut from money payed in and that’s entirely possible ,how many have kept all the cost of the rifle ,bullets ,diesel receipts ,cloths worn ,knives ,stalking ground costs (if any )and cost to keep a dog ,all to offset against the reward lol.
Me.
I put all my shooting expenses through my farm accounts as "pest control", so I can claim back the VAT on ammo etc. Any income received from carcass sales is recorded in the appropriate place, as is non-cash revenue in the form of venison retained for own consumption.

Never earned enough in my life to have to pay income tax, so I don't have much to fear from the Inland Revenue.

Cris

You never withhold any relevant detail from the insurance company unless you want them to withhold any relevant cash from a payout!

My policies are always Social Domestic and Pleasure and for the policyholder in connection with his business...I think it is fairly standard.

Check your policy or ask your insurer...

This from the first page of a google search...

Allianz...

Class 1. Class 1 use is when the car is being used for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and for use by the insured and/or spouse in connection with his/her business or occupation.

What is covered under Business Class 1 and 2?
Class 1
Class 1 use is when the car is being used for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and for use by the insured and/or spouse in connection with his/her business or occupation. Class 1 use covers an annual business mileage of up to 1,000 miles/1,600 kilometres paid or up to 2,000miles/3,200 kilometres unpaid.

Class 2
Class 2 use is when the car is being used for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and for use by the insured and/or spouse in connection with his/her business which is not covered by Class 1 (i.e. more than 1000 miles/1600 kilometres per year). The maximum mileage covered per year under Class 2 is 10,000 miles/16,000 kilometres.

Alan
That would cover you. Will have to check wording on my insurance but most common is Social domestic and commuting. Business being an additional option on most insurance.

Just something else for folks to think about.

Alantoo

That would cover you. Will have to check wording on my insurance but most common is Social domestic and commuting. Business being an additional option on most insurance.

Sorry a bit off my point was lost...as a self employed person I have always had business use on my policy and also for my partner as named driver if she was using my car for her business. I have always used Volvo estates and a trailer rather than Transits or Pick-Ups, so not commercial vehicle insurance if there is a difference.

Alan

slider

Business extension is usually only couple of £