Reloading 243 85gr sierra with hunter

shakey jake

Any one got any experience of ramshot hunter? I cant find a charge range for 85gr hpbt sierra gameking, gunshop local to me has advised 40gr start max 45gr.
He stocks the powder so easy access, doesnt appear to be getting banned soon, reading the ramshot data it list bullets of similar weights but not this one and sierra dont list ramshot, other powders by ramshot dont go to right bullet weight.
Should i try this range or different powder?
Thanks for looking shakey

Cant help with Ramshot Jake but Viht N160 works very well with an 85 grain bullet in the .243. I have been using it for quite a few years.

Use the Ramshot data for the 87gr Vmax 41.8gr - 46.4gr (I didnt choose the 85gr Barnes data as thats a different type of bullet to the Sierra you're using). Hunter is perfectly suited to the .243.

Sierra recommends loading the 85gr gameking to 2.65" COAL which ties in with the 2.64" for the 87gr in the Ramshot data.

http://m-b-r.co.uk/HTML/CalibreRelaodingInfo.php

Hunter works very well in my .270 and gives good velocity.

Last edited:
Good bullet choice and good powder too. I've used the same bullet and currently use Ramshot Hunter but not together. As Takbok says use the data for the Vmax and work up and you'll be fine. If you're using a powder thrower you'll be amazed at how consistent the Ramshot powders are and you'll find you end up not needing to weigh each charge (I certainly don't and have great results). If you use an auto trickler you may find the powder pours out too fast and is a bit harder to use.

Thanks guys, glad people like the bullet choice, ill take takboks advice and try it, uncle norm is n160 on the reach list?
Shakey

Any one got any experience of ramshot hunter? I cant find a charge range for 85gr hpbt sierra gameking, gunshop local to me has advised 40gr start max 45gr.
He stocks the powder so easy access, doesnt appear to be getting banned soon, reading the ramshot data it list bullets of similar weights but not this one and sierra dont list ramshot, other powders by ramshot dont go to right bullet weight.
Should i try this range or different powder?
Thanks for looking shakey
Try N140 works with a range of .243 bullets.

I seem to have done well with the same bullet and Vhit N150 in .243. But it’s my first work up so take what I say with caution.

Right guys, ive loaded up some rounds to coal 2.65 when loaded in to the rifle bullet touchs the lands. Ive wound the press in until i stop getting marks on the bullet but its now 2.49? Is this too short? Ive worked this out by colouring in the bullet with a sharpie and kept adjusting till no ink removed.
Any thoughts or comments. Ive got the weekend to finish load development and want it right
Shakey

Jake
By shortening your COAL you will have increased the pressure & velocity of your load. Be sure to work the load up from a low start figure for safety.

Ian

Ive started on a low load 42gr and increase in .5gr up to 45gr, i understand shortening the coal will have reduced available volume and would increase pressure but when is short too short?
Shakey

Yes, I had the same problem with the Sierra 75gr HP bullets, had to reduce the OAL so they didn't jam in rifling. Very similar ogive to the 85gr gameking.

Jake it sounds like you are not measuring true COAL (cartridge overall length) & you are probably measuring from head of case to the bullet ogive which explains your stated lengths being much less than SAAMI COAL standard value of 2.710" max & 2.540" minimum.
If you stay within the SAAMI length max & min figures, your bullets should not be touching the lands. If they do touch something is seriously wrong with the rifle! (or your measurements) LOL.
You would be wise to measure from case head to bullet tip & use the length stated in the load data that you are using.
As the SAAMI minimum is stated as 2.540" it would be wise to stay above that in any case.

Ian

Saturday will be the test before the dsc the following week, i want a decent group before the nerves set in and try and spoil it

Thats my fear getting to short!! I dont have a way to measure to ogive ive got a normal set of calipurs and im measuring from case head to hollow point of bullet, rotated to check its upright and double checked. I think ill get my chamber measured
Shakey

Very strange! Probably wisest to get the rifle checked by an independent riflesmith .
What rifle is it? - Not essential - I'm just interested.
Is it new or newly rebarelled/worked upon?
Have you tried factory ammo in it? If so what do the fired cases look like & how did it shoot?

Ian

Its a styer mannlicher pro hunter ive loaded for ita while ago but a house move after splitting up lost my notes so started again with different set up and now doesnt feel right, ive shot factory fine groups with old reloads clover leafed at 100 yards not found a factory round that groups great, i hope its the shape of the bullet not a buggered chamber
Shakey

HMMMMMM I'm wondering if you have some hard build up of carbon crud in the throat/leed area of the chamber that is giving you false bullet markings.

Ian

Back