Reloading equipment in an outside shed

jer

Stuff such as dies etc that can be stored in a sealed Tupperware container should be fine for anything else metalic spray with ACF 50, the stuff is awesome in keeping rust at bay

timbrayford

I just spray my dies occasionally with WD40 and wipe them off afterwards. I've got an electric powder dispenser that gets a bit temperamental during cold weather so that comes indoors for the winter except for when it is in use.

Scotty99

It can made to work, but suggest you keep your dies, powder and primers indoors. Get a dual temperature / humidity gauge and a de-humidifier to use when the moisture content gets too high. Also an electric powered but oil filled heater will give you good background heat when you are working in the winter.

timbrayford

It can made to work, but suggest you keep your dies, powder and primers indoors. Get a dual temperature / humidity gauge and a de-humidifier to use when the moisture content gets too high. Also an electric powered but oil filled heater will give you good background heat when you are working in the winter.
I seem to have managed for the past 10 years without doing all that, but winters on the Isle of Wight are considerably milder than elsewhere in the UK.

Scotty99

I seem to have managed for the past 10 years without doing all that, but winters on the Isle of Wight are considerably milder than elsewhere in the UK.
Yep, indeed. My humidity gauge was reading 92% at times last winter near the Welsh border. Hence my advice, but it does depend where you live I guess. Best thing is to buy the humidity gauge for about 10 quid and see what the temp and humidity levels are like before investing in a dehumidifier.

Pedro

Quite a few ways to go about it really then. Tupperware is always a good option. You could use the plastic boxes you get with Chinese takeaways too. They don't last forever, but (apart from paying for a hopefully yummy takeaway) they are free. Plastic bags are also a pretty cheap thing to use. You can get some pretty large sealable ones. The thing to do however you seal up your stuff is to ensure it's dry before of course. If considering a heater, probably the thing to do is look for the cheapest (in terms of electricity use) that does the job. It's probably easier to do in a good quality shed as garages tend to have those draughty doors at the front. Unless you brick it up...

TriggerPull

I keep mine in an outbuilding that we built a few years ago. Keep the dog in there now, too. I have a dehumidifier in there that I only really use in winter.

Mortis1975

I've got a metal shed with anti condensation ceiling, but I've just noticed rust developing on my seater. Those sachets Jura mentioned look good for dropping the the due boxes. Might also look at running a small radiator in there.

Jura

I've got a metal shed with anti condensation ceiling, but I've just noticed rust developing on my seater. Those sachets Jura mentioned look good for dropping the the due boxes. Might also look at running a small radiator in there.
I cut out ventilation grills in my workshop and that helped cure a lot of the condensation problems especially in winter.

Mortis1975

I cut out ventilation grills in my workshop and that helped cure a lot of the condensation problems especially in winter.
To be fair there is a lot of ventilation, it might have been caused by me doing a lot of brass cleaning in the ultrasonic on those hot days last week.

Sonicdmb73

My current “shed” is fully insulated and stays reasonably stable temperature wise. However I still don’t leave dies etc out. I have plastic clip lid sandwich type boxes with desiccant sachets in them. No problem with rust since I started using them. Just change/dry out every so often.

quarryman

Although I reload in the comfort of my house I do have a dehumidifier in my shed.Everything is bone dry and warm and the dehumidifier burns 250 watts of electricity.