Rem 700 SA magazine conversion

Malxwal

Talk to me about converting Remmy 700 to use a magazine rather than the floorplate.
What's involved, what's a good system ?

I bought the Kwik Klip system from Cabela's, got a friend to bring it over in his luggage. It was completely painless to swap, fitted straight in without any fiddling, and has performed faultlessly ever since. It's a 4-round clip, but I always use it with 3. No problems feeding etc in my .243

Most Rem bottom metal uses aics magazines

With the exception of Wyatts and HS Precision

The aics bottom metal require minor modification to the existing stock bottom metal to open up the inlet to fit the bottom metal and just as importantly get the correct depth for magazine to offer correct pick up

Without a milling machine it’s a difficult job

The HS Precision bottom metal require less work but still is not a drop in

Wyatts - as above

The rifle is in a Macmillan Remmy Classic stock, all nicely done by Norman Clarke. Would the work cause much of an upset to the bedding ?

I'll take your floor plate, follower, spring and mag box if you do change!
I will bear that in mind. I am so used to a magazine, I'm not adjusting to the floorplate very well. Bang bang bang bang, s**t, where's my other mag....

Cheers - I've used a floor plate for 25 years. I'll take Bang bang bang bang, s**t, where's my other mag....over sh1t where is my only mag or rattle, rattle no bang!

I bought the Kwik Klip system from Cabela's, got a friend to bring it over in his luggage. It was completely painless to swap, fitted straight in without any fiddling, and has performed faultlessly ever since. It's a 4-round clip, but I always use it with 3. No problems feeding etc in my .243

I too have a Kwik Klip on my 25-06. It works a treat. Not sure where you can get one from now though. Mine came from America before the current paranoia over exports.
Also have a HS Precision on my 30-06. Viking import them but they are not cheap. I paid £90 for a Mag and that was some time ago.

Roger at Rimfire Magic does a kit. Its is a polymer material and reasonable in price. I purchased one for a friend who has used it for the last couple of years with no problems at all.

i have the h.s precision gen 1 mag and bottom metal, and i,m looking for a spare 4 shot mag cheers bs

The Bergara B14 magazine system fits the same footprint as a standard R700 floorplate, it should be possible to get the mags to feed with a few minor adjustments.

We also supply stocks inletted for AICS floorplates for Rem 700 if that's of interest.

I have a Legacy Sports magazine conversion that I picked up in the US for about $60. It's a good bit of kit and much more convenient than an internal mag (in my opinion). There are loads of kits out there and so long as they fit your stock (research or a call required), they're mega easy to fit.

I've not notice any difference in accuracy since fitting the LS kit (which is plastic) but it stands to reason that a metal kit will give you more consistent torque settings for your bedding bolts. With regards to the work required to the bedding, I wouldnt see it requiring anything drastic to get it to fit.... That said, my assessment is only based on 2nd hand information from a very good friend of mine in the US so I can make no guarantees!

Quite happy with the current stock, but not averse to paying decent money to have a quality item fitted and fettled so it feeds 100%.

I’m certain that the kit sold by Rimfire Magic is the Legacy Sports conversion kit.

Very easy kit to fit, (I’ve done three sets now) and all worked well without problems, just don’t tighten the stock bolts toooooooooo much as the trigger guard is plastic/resin, don’t want to split it.

I recently put myself a nice remmy rifle together with a drop plate. I didn;'t like the way it was feeding and never went hunting with it. Fitted AICS AI type or original CTR type mags on all my other rifles. I love that the mag sticks out, mostly in the balance point with your hand in front of it when walking. One type of mag fits in my Sako, Mauser, Tikka, Remmy and Howa rifles. I use Atlasworx floor plates.
edi

ps, another point is, why bother with a fantastic pillar bedding job if the side that holds the action is sloppy and spongy. Get a proper metal floor plate with some meat in it and bed it properly.

I recently put myself a nice remmy rifle together with a drop plate. I didn;'t like the way it was feeding and never went hunting with it. Fitted AICS AI type or original CTR type mags on all my other rifles. I love that the mag sticks out, mostly in the balance point with your hand in front of it when walking. One type of mag fits in my Sako, Mauser, Tikka, Remmy and Howa rifles. I use Atlasworx floor plates.
edi

ps, another point is, why bother with a fantastic pillar bedding job if the side that holds the action is sloppy and spongy. Get a proper metal floor plate with some meat in it and bed it properly.
Edi, so what sort of work is required in terms of hours to fit the Atlasworx bottom metal ?

I’ve used the Legacy Sports one from Roger for several years. It’s cheap, cheerful, and works. No noticeable effect on accuracy. I’ll echo what others said about torquing it correctly. I bolloxed my driver settings and it did indeed split....... but only cost fifty quid to replace! Glad I kept the original fittings while I ordered a replacement.

Edit, forgot to say it’s on a 243 in an HS Precision PSS stock. Suits it in terms of looks.

Edi, so what sort of work is required in terms of hours to fit the Atlasworx bottom metal ?
It depends on gear and how experienced you are. With a bit of "talent" you can open the inlet with a Dremel and some files. To get it fitting loose maybe an hour, then prep and bed the complete floorplate. Another at least hour. Then remove floor plate, tidy up sand inside to have a medium tight fit. Then adjust release lever length, maybe re-spray the stock or parts of it. I would do this only when the action is bedded. result if done right is fantastic.
edi

Kwik-Klip kit dropped straight into my remmy 700 CDL to replace drop plate mag. Kit came with 4 round mag for $119 at Cabelas. In HS Precision stock it fitted straight in with no fettling required.
Feeds nice and smooth. Worth a look.

Back