Remington Long Action Q`s

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...

John Gryphon

After much mucking about the two donor rifles that I sent to the smith were rejected for whatever reasons I am looking for a .375 H+H length action to complete the 10.3 x 68 RWS build.
OAL is 91.44mm. Barrel is reamed waiting!

I have come across this SS Rem action that i am told will take the length required,is there any "work" to be done I also need bottom metal and am aware of how much that can be price wise.
Any clues on bottom metal etc.
I have Duane Weibe BM on my 300H+H exy and wont be going that route.
Any gunsmiths care to advise thanks?

The ad was for the below New Remington stainless steel long action suits up to 300/338/375 REM ULTRA MAGNUM

REM SS action.jpg

caberslash

After much mucking about the two donor rifles that I sent to the smith were rejected for whatever reasons I am looking for a .375 H+H length action to complete the 10.3 x 68 RWS build.
OAL is 91.44mm. Barrel is reamed waiting!

I have come across this SS Rem action that i am told will take the length required,is there any "work" to be done I also need bottom metal and am aware of how much that can be price wise.
Any clues on bottom metal etc.
I have Duane Weibe BM on my 300H+H exy and wont be going that route.
Any gunsmiths care to advise thanks?

The ad was for the below New Remington stainless steel long action suits up to 300/338/375 REM ULTRA MAGNUM

View attachment 209592

Not a gunsmith, but that's a newer, Freedom Group-era Remington stainless action (look at the QR code behind the front action screw) and also the X Mark Pro Adjustable trigger.

Personally, I'd avoid it. If you are going down the custom built route, why not get a custom action instead of pouring money into a factory one? Probably work out cheaper after the gunsmith has insisted on doing the usual 'blueprinting', changing the trigger (I'd say this is essential!), adding an oversize/pinned recoil lug, and probably having to re-time the action then possibly a Sako/M16 extractor install. Dual ejector setups are also in vogue.

You could save the need to source a floorplate by going to an 'ADL' (blind magazine) setup. Stràáàaonger stock and impossible to accidentally dump rounds. All that is needed is a mag box and follower, but sourcing these could be a pain as any Remington spare part is now hens teeth.

I'd double check the boltface is of the correct diameter too.

I'm in the process of setting up a LA Rem 700 but the only reasons I bought it were:

1. Good price for a pre-Freedom Group (2003) Sendero which had a nicer HS Precision stock.

2. Already had all the essential work done and new barrel fitted and threaded by very reputable gunsmiths.

3. Managed to find the necessary replacement parts at a decent price (Two Stage Triggertech Special and Williams Bottom Metal).

Good luck in your build, the big benefit of the Rem 700 LA is the potential cartridge overall length, one of the longest factory actions I think. If you want to go crazy, the longest Wyatt's Box Magazine will accommodate a 4" round :eek: but also require the rear receiver bridge just in front of the trigger to be ground off to fit.

Last edited:

John Gryphon

I haven't been 'exactly' sold on the Rem mate.I have looked for without success for some time and that came up for grand Aud and I thought why not at least get it built...but ask questions first.
I am not building a custom rifle,just a working class rifle. I would love to build it on a Mod 70 Win platform ( i have six M70`s as they are a rippin rifle imo) but getting an action requires me to buy a 375 H+H winchester...none have shot out barrels (no wonder) to make them cheaper and I am reluctant to buy a full good rifle only to pull it apart to just use the action. A mate is advising Steyr as they are long in the action...I DONT WANT A ****ING STEYR i said ha ha.

I am open to all ideas and yours was a comprehensive answer caberslash thanks.
I will look those names up Ronin thanks.

John Gryphon

That is actually an exy buy for that outfit. Those paddles only bring around 700 bucks alone. The meopta isnt ever gonna make up the rest lol.
The rifle has been on there a while now.

I dont know the Ruger action capabilities but the 300 Win Mag is far too short compared to the 91.4 i need.
Thanks for looking.

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Group 5 will do but the price!

Yup they are spendy but a perfect sporting rifle

Three pos safety

CRF

Lovely slim lines

One in my cabinet with stunning wood waiting for Rebarrel and right customer with budget to match 😘

JockStalk

You’ll not go wrong with sunny hill floorplate. I have one on 6.5 and it’s Swiss watch type precision.
But you said this will be a working rifle? I’ve a 25-06 Remmy with triggertech trigger, kwik-klip mag conversion and McMillan edge ultralight stock. Great, inexpensive and reliable package. It’s like a Tory lord. Likes nothing better than being abused.

caberslash

You’ll not go wrong with sunny hill floorplate. I have one on 6.5 and it’s Swiss watch type precision.
But you said this will be a working rifle? I’ve a 25-06 Remmy with triggertech trigger, kwik-klip mag conversion and McMillan edge ultralight stock. Great, inexpensive and reliable package. It’s like a Tory lord. Likes nothing better than being abused.

How much did you fork out for the Sunny Hill?

Brownells are wanting £250+ for the bog standard Remmy LA version (Sako style button on outside of triggerguard bow, not fancy Obendorf latch).

I practically stole my Williams one for £65 (many thanks to the guy on UKV who sold it to me! 🤩)

Used to belong to @Ronin I think...

Ronin

Distinguished Member
How much did you fork out for the Sunny Hill?

Brownells are wanting £250+ for the bog standard Remmy LA version (Sako style button on outside of triggerguard bow, not fancy Obendorf latch).

I practically stole my Williams one for £65 (many thanks to the guy on UKV who sold it to me! 🤩)

Used to belong to @Ronin I think...

It did and I was “that” close to buying the stock back but now you have the floorplate there isn’t any point buying the stock back

You saved yourself some money on that purchase (and me too as I was about to order a borden timberline for the stock )

Oh well 🙈😘

caberslash

It did and I was “that” close to buying the stock back but now you have the floorplate there isn’t any point buying the stock back

You saved yourself some money on that purchase (and me too as I was about to order a borden timberline for the stock )

Oh well 🙈😘

Glad to be of service 😜