Removing Bluing

Heym SR20

Other than emery paper is there a good way of removing the parkerised type matt bluing on Remington SPS rifles. I would like a proper rust blue at some point.

deerstalker.308

If you want it done properly and are planning on having it professionally re-blued, I’d just send it to them to strip bare how they want it prepped?

PKL

Halfords - Hammerite rust remover liquid £7 - B&Q large/long planter - boil kettle, put rust remover in planter, fill halfway with boiling (or near) water - Chuck in barrel/parts - leave until cold - give once over with 600g wet/dry and wash off in hot water in the shower - if you love your rifle, you may shower with it.

If left for a while, apply oil, otherwise start degreasing and rebluing instantly as it will rust swiftly.

Do not go finer than 600g as blacking acid will not bite...if that is an issue, take up to 600 again or apply 10% hydrochloride etch between 2nd and 3rd coats

CarlW

Halfords - Hammerite rust remover liquid £7 - B&Q large/long planter - boil kettle, put rust remover in planter, fill halfway with boiling (or near) water - Chuck in barrel/parts - leave until cold - give once over with 600g wet/dry and wash off in hot water in the shower - if you love your rifle, you may shower with it.

If left for a while, apply oil, otherwise start degreasing and rebluing instantly as it will rust swiftly.

Do not go finer than 600g as blacking acid will not bite...if that is an issue, take up to 600 again or apply 10% hydrochloride etch between 2nd and 3rd coats
I do like it when one learns something from someone who so clearly knows what they are talking about.

Posts like this are why I come here.

Best,

Carl

welshwarrior

Best way to do it simple wrap it up well post it to Bromley and Sons the finish will all vanish and an immaculate rust blue will come appear.