Removing carbon build up from moderator

Ttocs

I’ve a DPT moderator that’s, after around 300rounds, starting to get a build up of carbon on it. Can anyone advise me as to what I can use to remove the carbon without damaging the moderator’s alloy or anodising? My original plan was to just leave it as I’ve been told “they get quieter once the carbon starts to build up”;however, I’m sure the moderator is getting less effective as the carbon builds up; the rifle certainly sounds different to my ears.
Ttocs

swaro79

hot soapy water and soak for a while to loosen stubborn carbon, thats what I use on my wildcat evolution and a good soft brush i use plastic bristles so it dosent scratch anything!seems to do the job for me.

Ttocs

Was planning to just leave it but, as I explained, it sounds different and I think it’s getting nosier. The carbon may save the baffles, but just for the bin; if cleaning it doesn’t make it quieter, I’ll have to think about replacing it
N

Edinburgh Rifles

Stop cleaning moderators!!

If its getting noisier its likely due to the bore increasing in size due to flame erosion
cleaning the carbon off will accelerate this on a alloy moderator

spray of very light oil to neutralise the acidic compounds is the only thing worth doing to any moderator

Ronin

Distinguished Member
How to clean moderators

Ensure moderator mounted on rifle of correct bore corresponding to bore of mod and screw on tight

With correct PPE

Check area in front of muzzle safe and free of non projectile compatible organisms

Operating best practice - load chamber with correct bullet

Mount rifle to shoulder and assume a stable firing position pointing barrel towards adequate and safe non ricocheting back stop

Gently squeeze trigger until bang heard and recoil felt

Your moderator is now clean

Your barrel may now require cleaning

paul o'

As above if steel light spray of oil leave on rad job done, the only mod I clean is the EVO but I just blow the baffles with the air gun and clean the rubber o' rings as they can stick in the out baffle tube if left to go hard .

Ttocs

Now I know where I’ve been going wrong, I’venot ensured that the “area I front of the muzzle is free of non projectile compatible organisms”
Thanks for the advice gents
N