renewal asking where you keep your keys

Davie_M

had my visit for my fac renewal today and one of the questions was where do i keep my keys in case i snuff it so they can remove my guns with little fuss
They did say i didn't have to answer so i didn't is this a new thing or are they just to trip you up and disclose where the keys are

widu13

Tell the local old bill where I leave unattended keys? Never. As far as anyone is concerned the keys are with me permanently.

enfieldspares

My spare keys are in a sealed envelope at a local RFD. With instructions in my will that on my decease he is to sell those which my son does not wish to keep, retain £500 himself for the trouble, and pay the rest to my son. My two pistols are, in any case, with that RFD as s7 "Historical Weapons".

Ranger22

I got asked the same question and others. One was do you have any illegally held firearms- no. Do you have any pistols - no.

Brimfire

seemed strange as they tell you not disclose where you keep your keys to anyone
Not even the FEO. IF you tell the FEO where you keep the keys, you might not have your certificate renewed, unless you tell him/her they are kept in the safe and the pin code is none of his/her business.

kes

You are obliged to tell no-one where you keep your keys - people have been dying for ages and no-one, (so far as I know) has died as a result of a deceased's weapons getting into the wrong hands.
I am tempted to swear but lets just say - on your bike, the law has no rights to this information.

countrryboy

Not even the FEO. IF you tell the FEO where you keep the keys, you might not have your certificate renewed, unless you tell him/her they are kept in the safe and the pin code is none of his/her business.
Nonsense, i told the last FEO where my various safe keys were hidden, and got tickets renewed no prob's even gave me a couple of extra slots.
I didn't see any harm in it. As he has no access to my house and can see it making sense if no one else knows where ur keys are when ur time comes (hopefully not for a while yet).
He said keeps that info written and locked in his filing cabinet at work so no one else has access to it and not on any computers

Must admit i've moved since then and with the new way polis scotland do it i wouldn't inform them again as no longer have FT FEO's so too much chance of it being passed about.

May be different with other forces but definately wasnae a trick question with me.
If in any doubt u could ask basc the legal situation

FGYT

not good to have a std non secure place any way if one of your family finds them then technically you have a problem if you never change it

FEO has no legal right or need to know the Security of your guns is legally solely your personal responsibility

countrryboy

So u think its better to have all ur keys in 1 safe?

I have thought about this but then looked at clips of just how easy it is to break into most of the cheaper safes. I doubt most thieves/burgulars would waste the time searching throu every drawer and cupboard to find keys, doubt some burgulars would even find my gunsafes.

U'd be far quickier trying to pull my safes off the wall and worrying about them later.

The FEO's idea was it saves a lot of time if u die there is a record where ur keys are, he never said it was compulsory more a convience thing

Markfox

If my time comes my guns are least of my problems , my guns are stored in a safe that only I can get into , if the police want to remove them I'm sure they'll find a way to get in they do not need to know where the keys or what the codes are that's what I tell them and they are happy with my answer

Pedro

I suppose it could be a valid question to ask where your keys are kept. I imagine sometimes you'd get some numpty replying they are kept on a hook by the back door. But I'd say the correct answer is either not tell them or that it's in a place that can't be accessed, such as a safe.

Brimfire

Nonsense, i told the last FEO where my various safe keys were hidden, and got tickets renewed no prob's even gave me a couple of extra slots.
I didn't see any harm in it. As he has no access to my house and can see it making sense if no one else knows where ur keys are when ur time comes (hopefully not for a while yet).
He said keeps that info written and locked in his filing cabinet at work so no one else has access to it and not on any computers
Bear in mind that I said "might not have your certificate renewed".

Must admit i've moved since then and with the new way polis scotland do it i wouldn't inform them again as no longer have FT FEO's so too much chance of it being passed about.
The fact that you have since changed your mind about informing them where you keep your keys speaks volumes... you wouldn't tell them diddly as it ain't any of their business!

May be different with other forces but definately wasnae a trick question with me.
I know my legal obligations and anybody that is not authorised to access the equipment will not have access.

If my time comes my guns are least of my problems , my guns are stored in a safe that only I can get into , if the police want to remove them I'm sure they'll find a way to get in they do not need to know where the keys or what the codes are that's what I tell them and they are happy with my answer
All the police need to do, is call their friendly locksmith who will duly facilitate access to the safe and the police can then secure the equipment until such time a will instructs what should happen to such equipment.

deerly departed

The responsibility for the security of you firearms lies with the FAC holder and nobody else. By telling anyone where you store spare keys be it FEO or RFD is fundamentally against this principle.
The fact that your FEO records it is disturbing and the fact he keeps it out of the deptarments responsibility is questionable in the extreme. There are bent officers and FEO's !!!!

Upon your demise...there is plenty of opportunity for a temp cert to be granted to a member of family or nominated person to allow for the disposal of weaponry beit sale via an RFD or transfer etc.
A lock smith will be into a gun safe in under 10 minutes as I have witnessed first hand so there is no reason to release this information to anyone and indeed every reason to keep it to yourself.
I am not a member of BASC but I would be interested in thier response.

countrryboy

I've known that FEO for years, really didn't/don't see a problem with telling him, i actually could see the benefit in it. That was his FT job

The reason i wouldn't now is policy has changed and not even sure how it works now, the new boy that came out when i moved never asked. And now think its a small group of normal PC's that try to fit it in amoungst there other jobs

It was more for convience for ur family when u croak it rather than coming in to raid ur guns in middle of the night

Brimfire

I've known that FEO for years, really didn't/don't see a problem with telling him, i actually could see the benefit in it. That was his FT job

The reason i wouldn't now is policy has changed and not even sure how it works now, the new boy that came out when i moved never asked. And now think its a small group of normal PC's that try to fit it in amoungst there other jobs

It was more for convience for ur family when u croak it rather than coming in to raid ur guns in middle of the night
They certainly wouldn't be coming around in the middle of the night to raid the gun safe upsetting your family after you have gone upstairs to play the harp! They are locked away with the keys in a non disclosed place unknown to your family members, so there is no apparent risk of sporting firearms getting into possession of persons who have no authority to possess.

Druid

FFS! These are not nuclear weapons that we hold.
as far as I am concerned, as long as they are secured when not in use the you have complied with all requirements that are legally required. There is no reason to disclose key locations and I would feel uncomfortable about doing so.
for god sake can't we just comply with the requirements and not be paranoid about needing to comply with obscure requests?
to all of you that come out with the "I've known the feo for years so why worry " how will you feel when an arrogant replacement from the nearest big city takes over? Cos that is what will happen.

johngryphon

And when the police/firearms registry gets hacked and the data of where your keys and address is to be utilised by the crims?
Leaving your place to be open house!

I wouldnt be telling them anything re keys.