Replacement LR Defender Headlights

Klenchblaize

Looking for a steer please in what to replace the factory issue headlights with now they are full of moisture and very dim. So many LED type on e-bay and at varying prices its difficult to know where to start. My only criteria is they don't pose issues for the vehicle's electrics. Wiring loom burn out and relay failure etc.

I have a new pair of backing support bowls to replace the rusted ones.

Thanks

K

Mike_E

Wipac Crystal Halogen with some uprated bulbs. Have worked great for me for 4 years and have not had major issues. one stalk switch went a bit dodgy... hard to switch between high and low beam but that occurs on loads of defenders anyhow.

Best solution would be to also fit a Land Reiziger loom to take all teh current away from the stock switch but I've not got to that yet.

I would steer clear of the LED ones as they will be an MOT fail these days from what I understand.

Klenchblaize

Thanks. I’ll look into them. No issues with existing electrics but then so far I’ve been spared any Defender component failures much to the disappointment of most SD Landrover reliability commentators. I am of course excluding RUST from my observation!

K

308tikka

Wipac Crystal Halogen with some uprated bulbs. Have worked great for me for 4 years and have not had major issues. one stalk switch went a bit dodgy... hard to switch between high and low beam but that occurs on loads of defenders anyhow.

Best solution would be to also fit a Land Reiziger loom to take all teh current away from the stock switch but I've not got to that yet.

I would steer clear of the LED ones as they will be an MOT fail these days from what I understand.

Thats good to know as I bought a set and new bowls. Just havent got round to fitting...

Not quite headlights but can definitely recommend replacing interior light with the MUD LED red/white. Simple job that even I could do it. A lot more light....

Klenchblaize

OK but I’m hoping to be told what to buy please.

Got a helpful steer if I remain analogue (old school) but would like to see some digital-like (LED) recommendations please.

K

T.eddie

Take a look/ speak to these people
Really useful when I swapped my ranger lights for less

Klenchblaize

Take a look/ speak to these people
Really useful when I swapped my ranger lights for less
Nothing wrong with the wheels!

K

Farmer Geddon

K, Fitted some upgraded lights in my TD5, I think I had to fit new sealed bowls & lenses to take the bulbs, Think the Bowls were Wipac, can't remember the make of bulbs, they got a blue glass at the end of them, will look in the morning. The advice from the off road boys was to fit these, & he could of sold me something that was a lot more expensive, but said trust me there are great, & they are, white & very bright. Will report back when its light enough to see. My mate fitted Led indicators & lights & wished he hadn't, all sorts of weird issues. I certainly don't need spotlights now.

Klenchblaize

K, Fitted some upgraded lights in my TD5, I think I had to fit new sealed bowls & lenses to take the bulbs, Think the Bowls were Wipac, can't remember the make of bulbs, they got a blue glass at the end of them, will look in the morning. The advice from the off road boys was to fit these, & he could of sold me something that was a lot more expensive, but said trust me there are great, & they are, white & very bright. Will report back when its light enough to see. My mate fitted Led indicators & lights & wished he hadn't, all sorts of weird issues. I certainly don't need spotlights now.
Thanks FG. I just want a pair of headlights that provide enough illumination that doesn’t require some old bloke to walk in front of my LR with a lantern!

K

snake_2586

I bought these for ours, dame good light, but when I took it to our local MOT center so they could set them up for me, they said there was not a defined beam center to set them, so they did not think they will pass the mot when the time comes, we parted ways with them saying they would look into it but not to be surprised if I have to buy some more when MOT time comes.

More of a post saying don't get these ones ;)

Donkey Basher

+1 for Wipac crystal & some updated bulbs, I went with Philips X-treme +130%

Bought a loom with relays to take the load off the light switch but never got round to fitting before selling the DCPU, may still have it kicking around somewhere, you're welcome to it if I can find it!

Mike_E

I've used the Phillips +130's but found they don't last long... maybe a year or so. Changed to 110s and they have lasted over 3 years so far.

Farmer Geddon

Thanks FG. I just want a pair of headlights that provide enough illumination that doesn’t require some old bloke to walk in front of my LR with a lantern!

K
Just rang JSF Landrover in Norwich, they told me I bought the Wipac Chrystal reflectors, & Ring Xenon +150 lightbulbs, 3years & no problems. They have em in stock, around £90 for the lot. Best upgrade I ever did apart from Canvas top & cage. Hope that helps, cheers.