Replacing a stock for thumbhole boyds on styre pro hunter

Pro Hunter

I’m thinking of replacing my black stock for a Boyds laminate thumbhole stock for Steyr pro hunter - apart from the very good review from carper99 4 years has anyone else done this? buying from SGC

good afternoon many years ago i had a pro hunter and fitted a boyds stock ,it made the rifle very accurate BUT the laminated stock was very slippery and worse when damp/wet and was not available with any checkering.

I have a Boyds laminate thumbhole stock on a Vanguard/Howa 1500 .308 I got it second hand from a member of this forum. Sanded, tru-oiled and stock conditioner gives it a satin finish, not slippy or shiny. Accurate and comfortable , I can't fault it.

Not the same rifle as you but I've just fitted a Boyds platinum stock to a CZ550. Based on my experience you should expect to have to do a bit of adjustment of the stock to make it fit. I bought a cheap dremmel type tool to do this. I fully pillar bedded it as well so spent a lot of time on it.
Also worth noting that you can get any boys stock you want through Sportsman. I got mine stippled for grip which is great and a custom length of pull. Only snag is it took 2 months to arrive but was worth the wait for me.

I ordered a boyds pro hunter for my steyr sbs. It wasnt even close to being a drop in fit and would of taken quite a bit of fettling to make it fit so i left it at Sportsman. The plastic trigger guard supplied with the boyds is very cheap and nasty too. Have a look at the Form Stocks.

I’m thinking of replacing my black stock for a Boyds laminate thumbhole stock for Steyr pro hunter - apart from the very good review from carper99 4 years has anyone else done this? buying from SGC
Hi.
I got one for my CZ and had it bedded by Neil McKillop. You need to be aware they're made for big hands, bigger than my size 8's anyway. I had to cut a lot off the thumbhole to enable me to reach the set trigger.

Had a customer present me with a pro hunter inletted laminate stock which required quite a bit of work to sort out - though once done it was fine

I had to make a “washer” arrangement for the forward action screw to spread the load as the “bottom metal” had split

As others have said they are not a drop-in fit and you'll likely have to do a bit of work first. I pillar bedded mine to a Howa 6.5x55. It was a bit touch and go as there was very little material to work with beneath one of the action screws. However a very comfortable stock for both stalking as well as long range target.

Back