Reproof a barbour ?

Devil_Bri

Is it easy to reproof an old barbour jacket ? does the new coat of wax hide the lighter green areas ?
Or for £30 send it back to barbour to get it done ? do they do a good job ?

375 mag

Send it back to Barbour if its only £30, the wax is about £10 so for £20 let them do it properly

DK.260

Absolutely agree, I have done the DIY option and the Barbour option.....never will i DIY again. The Barbour after sales was great

Alantoo

I am surprised Barbour only charge £30...does that include the shipping both ways?

I do mine once or twice a season. Pot of wax on the Rayburn so it is virtually liquid. Rub well into the seams. Go over with the hair drier set to stun, and rub in any thick bits to even it all out.

Barbour won't get any more wax in by spraying it on...and I guess it depends if you can be without the coat for however long it takes them to turn it around.

DIY waxing takes and hour of an evening, including putting a sheet or two of newspaper down on the kitchen table and tidying up....It would probably take one an hour to parcel it up and send it off to Barbour...

Alan

sauer

Sheet of cardboard , a hairdryer, pot of wax , old rags & a bowl boiling water sit tin of wax in .
Heat jacket with hair dryer run melted wax in , all over , wipe excess off .
But for £30 lot less mess !

Hornet 6

Keep it for dry days & get a proper coat!
Good idea, there must be plenty of lightweight modern breathable coats on the market these days.
So please let us all know which one will be as waterproof, tuff or long lived as a proper wax jacket.

Neil. :)

simonl

Good idea, there must be plenty of lightweight modern breathable coats on the market these days.
So please let us all know which one will be as waterproof, tuff or long lived as a proper wax jacket.

Neil. :)
I've found Lavenir better. They rip on wire possibly easier than a Barbour, but the 'moving parts' don't crease & subsequently leak. You can go backwards through thick thorns & brambles better than any other coat I've tried: And I've tried many. Some can't even take a good push through a gorse bush.

Always happy to learn though...

Alantoo

The DIY route is a summertime job at this time of year just too much hassle so £30 pounds is cheaper than a new coat.
I don't have the Rayburn going in the summer...

Intriguing what different things we think of as a hassle...parcelling up and getting to the post office is so much more of a hassle than wiping a bit of wax on a coat for me.

I can charge double that for my workshop rate but I can't earn £30 as a wage/disposable income in an hour so I guess waxing is a hassle to put up with for me. Taking time off in the working day to post something just adds insult to the injury!

Alan