Rescue dogs for deer tracking.

countrryboy

It will all depend on the standard u want to get it to and the breed, as well as the individuals back ground.
Would guess higher chance of non working stock so potentially not as good a nose?

Following a scent is the most natural thing u can train a dog to do, almost every dog should want to do it naturally, just depends on the standard u want to get it too.

And yes u can teach old dogs new tricks, but it will depend on wot ur trying to teach it and wot previous bad habits it has ( hard/impossible to teach a soft mouth, or some barking/whining, but general obedience should be possible

Saying that I know a few grouse moors that some off the keepers really only use rehomed dogs, a shelter up their valley brings them in from Ireland, meant to be off working stock..
Running 5 or 10 of them at a time, not the tidiest best trained dogs u'll ever see but do a job

Smelly Yeti

Simple answer = yes. An old dog that still has the drive will work just as well as a youngster.... sometimes better as they are fully matured & often steadier.

However - the only caution I would add is not to be seduced by the romanticised idea that all dogs are in rescue shelters because they’ve had a poor start in life. Many are in there because of inherent behavioural issues (although I would absolutely accept that these issues have also undoubtedly been compounded by poor handling in the majority of cases!).

If you go in with a firm idea of what you’re after, & are prepared to walk out again if the right dog isn’t there, no reason why your next loyal companion couldn’t get a second shot at life though. :thumb:

rem284

The simple as is yes. I do prefer to breed my own pups but this time around I have left it too late to breed from the bitch I have, this is due to politics. I will be wanting a pup within the next 2 years but if pup prices remain ridiculously high I wont buy one unless there is absolutely no option. Therefore my options will be a rescue or preferably a pup from a litter that I am trying to persuade a pal to bred. If he does then its from a dog that I bred.

Depending on the desperation of needing a dog then I would be reluctant to take on a dog older than 3 years. However say if a keeper/stalker that I know was parting with a dog for the right reasons then I would extend the age thing a few years

Keith Edmunds

I know a number of show dachshunds that have retired from the show ring and become 'competent' tracking dogs, not world-beaters, but easily good enough to find 99% of deer that run into cover after a fatal shot. I truly believe that Stevie Wonder could find most of the deer that are pictured with dogs sitting beside them. In the case of a really tough search, you can always call the experts.

camodog

Yes, I should say it is feasible, given the provisoes others have highlighted. When I met 'Mrs 'CD', she had got a little bitch from the RSPCA some 18 months earlier. Absolutely no idea of the breeding, a real 'Heinz jobbie'. It was basically out of control when I arrived on scene. She would often go for a walk and come back without it ! I took it in hand and it made a super gun-dog, she would do everything from swim the gutters on the foreshore for a 'pink' to track deer !

hughsurrey

I suspect that in the near future, a lot of the dogs that people have bought recently will be looking for a new home, once the people who bought them during the lockdown realise you cant have a dog for 6 weeks when you are at home doing nothing, then expect it to be a well behaved dog when you have to go back to work.

In answer to the original question, all my dogs are rescues, all had their issues, but they all trained well enough. My favourite was a 50kg GSD, bolshie as you like and nervously aggressive and a bit of a biter, loved to lift the eggs out of the chicken coop and bring them into the kitchen, great to see this huge landshark gently carrying eggs in his teeth.